Need advice fore probe style thermometer.....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

mjstef

Oct 4, 2009
Northwoods of Wisconsin
I would like to install a probe style thermometer in my Selkirk Shur-temp HT flue that is installed on a Flame Monaco fireplace. What is the best unit to use and where is the best location? Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Selkirk and Duravent are two different companies, but regardless one does not put a probe thermometer into the chimney pipe that comes off the ZC fireplace.

Selkirk and Duravent are two different companies, but regardless one does not put a probe thermometer into the chimney pipe that comes off the ZC fireplace.

Yeah, Meant Sure-temp. As far as not putting a probe on a ZC with Double Wall, i found plenty of threads where people where putting probes in Double Wall. Just didn't find any consensus on brand or location.

Yeah, Meant Sure-temp. As far as not putting a probe on a ZC with Double Wall, i found plenty of threads where people where putting probes in Double Wall. Just didn't find any consensus on brand or location.
Yes in double wall stove pipe not double wall chimney pipe.

Yes but you are using it on double wall pipe right? The op is talking about chimney pipe

Yes, double wall connector pipe. I would not install in my Class A chimney pipe.

mjstef there's a major difference between double-wall stove (connector) pipe and double-wall chimney (class A) pipe. Probe thermometers are made for stove pipe only, not for chimney pipe. But even if there was one made for chimney pipe, how would you see the thermometer once the wall is closed up for the ZC fireplace?

mjstef there's a major difference between double-wall stove (connector) pipe and double-wall chimney (class A) pipe. Probe thermometers are made for stove pipe only, not for chimney pipe. But even if there was one made for chimney pipe, how would you see the thermometer once the wall is closed up for the ZC fireplace?

Was thinking the electric sensor to digital gauge style. http://www.auberins.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=20_3&products_id=291 Any other way to keep an eye on temps in a ZC fireplace? On the front of the door would not be accurate as the airwash comes down over the glass.....

There is no stove pipe on a ZC fireplace, but even if there were a thermometer on single-wall stove pipe tells the flue temps, not the stove temps. In other words a relative reading. Flue gas temps can give an indication of how well the stove is burning, but not necessarily how hot the stove is burning. For many stoves the flue gas temp is lower than the stove top temp once the stove is in the secondary burn phase.

There is no room on the door but there appears to be enough room for a thermometer above the door on the left or right side. I would place a 2" dial thermometer there, about 2" inboard of the hinge. Many insert owners take their stove reading at this location. It is above the airwash and right where the flame rolls around the baffle. If it's decent quality, the thermometer will be accurate, but relative to the location. Give it a try, I think you'll get a usable reading. Another option is buy an IR thermometer that reads at least up to 750º and take a face reading above the door.
500_3727103042015402.jpg

Last edited:
Don't know, most OAKs are unrestricted. Do you anticipate a problem? Is the OAK intake on the windward side of the house?

Don't know, most OAKs are unrestricted. Do you anticipate a problem? Is the OAK intake on the windward side of the house?

Air is being drawn vertical from under a 3 season porch 5' off the ground. Wind can't really get to it. Was more looking at shutting it totally off for when we aren't burning. This way it wouldn't be drafting cold air through the fireplace and transitioning cold to the interior........
20171010_120317.jpg

If draft is reasonable the cool outside air may just be pulled up the chimney when there's no fire. Given the location, could it be retrofitted if needed? Be sure to screen the intake to prevent critter intrusion.