Need advice on cleaning zero clearance Fireplace Extraordinair 36 chimney

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

exalaskan

Dec 6, 2020
Bainbridge Island, WA
I need a little stovepipe cleaning 101 help as the last woodstove I used was pre-catalytic and the cleaning process involved running a brush down the pipe and scooping out the creosote pieces from inside the stove. The fireplace that I have now has a catalytic combuster and other parts that seem to block access to the pipe.

I would appreciate hearing from someone on how they go about cleaning the creosote out of the stovepipe when it is attached to this type of fireplace. Not sure if cleaning can be done from the top or from the bottom. Cleaning from the bottom would avoid climbing up 35 feet and I am getting too old for that, so I am hoping that there is a way to do it from below. It seems like some parts would need to be removed to access the pipe, but it is not obvious to me what needs to be removed and how to do that. The manual is of no help. If the pipe must be cleaned from the top by removing the cap, wouldn't the creosote pieces be difficult to remove if they fall into the fireplace?

IMG_1299.jpeg

For bottom-up cleaning it looks like one could run a sooteater up through the bypass opening.

I’m not sure how the fpx compares in construction to my rsf, but just has begreen suggested I go up through my bypass with a soot eater. I also now remove my catalyst because a lot of the debris doesn’t fall down through a 2x9 opening from a 7” round chimney. There I have to get on top of the baffle plate to clean. This also allows me to clean the catalyst and check things out.

Sooteater, open bypass, and remove baffle too. Good time to clean cat as well. I also got a little mirror and a flashlight and shined it up there so I could see before/after. Take it slow and easy to help keep the dust down.

Remove the baffle, sweep it out. If your cap still has the mesh in it, the soot eater likely won’t remove the buildup there. Make sure to verify the cap is clean, use binoculars if needed. I only remove the cat on these every 3 years or so. It’s very fragile and requires an expensive gasket kit to reinstall it.
Run a shop vac with a collection bag and filter while you broom it. It’ll catch all the dust unless it’s really dirty. Close one door if needed.