Need Advice on New Gas Insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

cdogstu99

Feb 24, 2018
boston
Bought a house recently and the fireplace has all the gas connections setup but the previous owners took the fireplace insert. And I've noticed a LOT of mouse droppings near the chimney so I really want to install an insert ASAP. Not trying to break the bank and I'm assuming that i would need a pro install?

Here's the fireplace: https://ibb.co/epVsTH

Just have no ideas where to start--I know that the size is about 38" width/27" height.

Is there a preferred brand? A preferred way to have them installed? Any specific things I should opt for?

I have two kids--3 and 5 and this has morphed into their playroom--so safety is also important.

Any help is appreciated!

You have the height & width. You should also measure the depth & visit you local hearth shop. Bring the dimensions & pictures with you. Also measure the square footage of the room. You want one with enough BTU Output to heat that room, maybe more, if the power goes out. There are a number of reputable brands on the market, some are more realistic looking than others. Make sure your children understand that horsing around & coming into contact with a hot unit is going to HURT badly. Most states require that gas heating appliances have protective screens in front of the glass to mitigate burns, but they can still occur. Looks like you already have a co-linear liner kit in the chimney. Make sure the unit you choose uses that size venting.In Massachusetts, you are required to have a licensed plumber do the install, hooking up the gas lines & the venting, but your hearth shop probably has one. You can operate them by the on-off switch on the unit, a wall mounted thermostat or even a remote thermostat.

Reactions: uncndl1