Need advice on stove pipe

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Possum

Sep 22, 2015
NH
Hello everyone, first post here. So the story is, my wife and I just purchased a home in central NH. It is a ranch, built in 76. The current setup is a Nashua wood stove in the basement piped into a concrete block chimney and an oil fired furnace sharing the same flue. I know this is a no no. The chimney is in rough shape so I am gearing up to replace it with two dedicated stove pipe chimneys. I thought of keeping the existing chimney and just dropping a liner down for the furnace and running a separate pipe up for the stove but the chimney is actually in the way of a future remodeling plan so I figure now is the time to take it down.

My question is this: Why can't I run double wall pipe from the stove up through the first floor and then transition to the insulated stuff in the attic and through the roof? It is a cold attic. I have plenty of room to make a chase on the main level and be well within the 6" clearances.

The section in the attic I understand should be insulated so that I don't run into problems with creosote. The chimney runs straight up through the middle of the house so everything below the attic will be warm anyway. This will save me a lot of money vs running the insulated stuff through the main level and I feel like there is some ambient radiant heat to be gained off the double wall pipe that would be lost. The insulated pipes will terminate through a steel roof and I plane to build a chase around them above the roof which will look better and help to keep everything sturdy and weather tight.

Please somebody explain to me why this would be a problem because all the dealers I talk to say nay. Appreciate any input. Thanks

My question is this: Why can't I run double wall pipe from the stove up through the first floor and then transition to the insulated stuff in the attic and through the roof?
Becasue that is not allowed by code or any of the manufacturers
And it absolutly canot be enclosed it lets off way to much heat the inside of that chase would get way to hot

I understand it's not code and therefore should not be done. I was thinking of exceeding the clearances and installing vents at the top and bottom of two walls of the chase to get that heat circulating out into the rooms. Thanks for the response

I understand it's not code and therefore should not be done. I was thinking of exceeding the clearances and installing vents at the top and bottom of two walls of the chase to get that heat circulating out into the rooms. Thanks for the response
Dont do it. It is against code for very good reasons. It is dangerous and not worth the risk of the lost heat in the stack.

Stove pipe can not and absolutely should not be chased. It is very radiant and will pyrolyze wood over time. That is a huge fire hazard and a time-bomb waiting to go off. Will it be when you are sleeping or away from home? No one knows.

Stove pipe must stop at the room barrier. Put in a ceiling support box and then go to class A pipe up through the attic with a firestop and attic insulation shield at the attic barrier. If you want to add top and bottom vents in the chase for the class A pipe on the 2nd floor, no problem.

Reactions: bholler
Status
Not open for further replies.