Need advice on wood insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Just_Pete

Jul 5, 2021
Buck County PA
Hello all!

Figured now is the best time to do some stove shopping, right? Need some advice...

Live in Bucks County Pennsylvania, 1400 sqft ranch on a slab. Current fireplace location is the living room with an open concept floor plan and the chimney to the outside is 15'.

Moved in to the house January 2020 and have been using the fireplace two seasons. I'd now like to start heating my home more efficiently with wood and I'll be doing the "potential" new stove install myself.

Budget $2300

Stoves considered that come with liner kits:
• Drolet 1800 Trio kit from Costco
• Tru North TN20
• Timberwolf EPI22

After checking the manufactures specs for the above stoves, I have some concerns with my current fireplace and if it will even accomodate the needed hearth and combustible clearances, see attached picture. My main concern is with the hearth and if placing a thermal floor protection is enough? I have engineered hardwood flooring in this room and extending the current brick hearth is something I'd really like to avoid.

I plan on staying in the house for 5-8 years, I'd hate having re-sell issues with inspections down the line. Any advice help would be greatly appreciated!

IMG_0573 copy.jpg

How deep is the fireplace at the lintel level? If the rear of the fireplace doesn't slope forward too aggressively, it looks like you may be able to recess the insert a bit to achieve the required 16" front hearth. The insert could be installed without a shroud, or with a modified shroud that is inset instead of on the surface of the fireplace.

If this is an exterior wall fireplace, consider adding insulation behind the insert and an insulated block-off plate. Be sure the flue system and smoke shelf are thoroughly cleaned before installing and get an insulation blanket for the liner.

Last edited:
Check the manuals for the minimum height of the hearth at which only ember protection on the floor is needed. I can’t remember on the 1800i. Below this height you need R value protection in the floor. Pushing the insert back as far as you can might get you to the 16” door to front hearth but the geometry of the firebox and the liner connection I think are more difficult to plan ahead for I’m guessing it’s hard for the first time installer to judge exactly where the liner will drop down and at what angle it connects to the insert. I will probably order and install the 1800i from Costco later this summer or fall.

Evan

Thanks for the replies. The fireplace is not exterior wall, there is a small bathroom behind it. Knowing I have wiggle room to recess the insert is giving me confidence that the Drolet 1800 will be the one for me.

The hearth is 8 inches off of the floor. I plan on getting an ember protection mat regardless, even with recessing the insert to get 16 inch in front.

The block-off plate will still help keep more of the heat in the room, but it sounds like there is no need for additional insulation behind the insert.

Reactions: Just_Pete