Need advise. Garage heating

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

gdk84

Feb 23, 2011
New England
It's been several years since I've posted here. Please forgive me if this is the wrong place to post this, and sorry if this becomes a long post, I'll do my best at paragraphs. I formally heated with a PE Super 27 stove in my old house. Granted the place was small, but I loved every minute of it. I miss processing my own wood and I have since moved to a bigger place on 10 acres several years ago. I'd like to get back into it... so here goes.

I am in the process of building a 40x50 garage about 375ft from my house. This is a small horse farm so I didn't have many options with the pasture. It's 2000 sq ft with 13'6" ceiling height, stick built, 2x6 walls, plan on insulating it well with 2 insulated 12'x12' overhead doors. Originally I was hoping to install radiant floor heat, install a outdoor wood boiler, and run PEX to the house (FHW system) BUT, I'd have to trade my wife in to afford it all. Just the radiant floor is over 6K just for the rough in. Then the boiler, manifolds, piping to the house, etc add up fast. In my mind, this would be the ideal set-up because the house is not at all wood stove friendly (no real good location to install one) and I'd be able to heat my DHW plus the shop all while keeping the mess outdoors. Plus it's one firebox to feed.

I have several issues, the first is cost. The second is wood consumption as I am not always in the garage, it's more of a nights and weekends shop and burning 5-10 cords (from what I hear) is a little excessive since I don't need the shop at 65 degrees 24/7. That brings me to the second (or third?) which is radiant floor. Yeah, it's awesome, but you NEED to keep it at a constant temp ALL the time. I don't think I need to explain this...

My other thought was to install a outdoor wood hot air furnace outside the garage like a "fire chief" and forget the house all together. I could install propane heat in the garage, and with the 2 heat it. The advantage here would be if I am unable to feed wood, propane would take over and keep it at let's say 50-55. I could load it and get fast heat bringing it up to temp quickly. All this while being WAY less expensive, but, the house benefits zero from this approach, but it would probably use much less wood.

I can go into more detail on any specific topic if needed, it's just hard to so it in one post. I'm looking for any and all advise, experience, etc that any member here has to offer.

Godbless all those being affected by hurricane Laura tonight, thoughts and prayers, I do need to add that

Are there local ordinances against a wood-fired heater in a garage space? That's the first thing to check. Will this garage have cars in it or will it be all shop?

Are there local ordinances against a wood-fired heater in a garage space? That's the first thing to check. Will this garage have cars in it or will it be all shop?
Even though many do, no wood fired stuff allowed in a garage. There will be a few vehicles, the rest shop.

Even though many do, no wood fired stuff allowed in a garage. There will be a few vehicles, the rest shop.
Would a wood-fired furnace in an attached shed be permitted? Have you considered a high-efficiency mini-split heat pump or two?

Would a wood-fired furnace in an attached shed be permitted?
That I am not sure about, good question

Have you considered a high-efficiency mini-split heat pump or two?
I have. I would need dual units to keep up with the heat demand as I'm in Maine. Again, a pricey option but I'd gain AC in the summer. I would also have to consider upgrading my garage electrical service plans to accommodate those.

I'd give serious consideration to a unit heater or two and heat pumps. Shut off the pumps when it drops below 20-25. Even a FHA furnace and some duct work or as mentioned a wood fired furnace if allowed. The AC would be a huge bonus IMO.

RFH is nice but it takes a long time to bring it up to temp and it does not respond well to changes. I also do not agree in adding antifreeze to any heating system. In my own case, in northern Maine It takes my house 24 hours to come off 50-55 and bring it to 70 during the winter months. That said it also remains warm in the house for a long time when I turn it down to head back after the weekend.

$6000.00 just in PEX buys a lot of heat and that space is going to need a lot of zones. My own garage is waiting for me to install a 75K BTU unit heater in one section and a pair of LP fired IR high bay fixtures in the other.

That I am not sure about, good question
If that is possible then there are some decent options for wood furnaces.

I have. I would need dual units to keep up with the heat demand as I'm in Maine. Again, a pricey option but I'd gain AC in the summer. I would also have to consider upgrading my garage electrical service plans to accommodate those.
Take a look in the DIY forum here. There is a thread on Costco mini-splits. There are some decent units. Some like Gree have good specs. A good mini-split will still perform respectfully at low temps. Some as low as -5º. The Green room has some deeper discussions of installations.

Reactions: Highbeam
My experience is the opposite. The tubes in the floor of my detached shop are dirt cheap and you only get one chance so put them in. Seriously, I have 1800 Lf of 1/2” heat pex in my 1800 sf slab. The wife and I put it in one day before the pour.

The expensive part is the boiler. So expensive that after 9 years, those pex tubes are still unused. I was able to install a wood stove and it can be a pain but it is effective.

Someday, we’ll get heat pump boilers and I’ll spend the cash.

If that is possible then there are some decent options for wood furnaces.
Only one as of now...Kuuma. (unless you go used) The only other one still for sale new is not worthy of much except target practice.
There is supposed to be another option on the horizon soon...just not released yet...supposedly.

Only one as of now...Kuuma. (unless you go used) The only other one still for sale new is not worthy of much except target practice.
There is supposed to be another option on the horizon soon...just not released yet...supposedly.
Is this because of 2020 EPA regs? I am not up to date on the changes, even to wood stoves.

Appreciate the replies. Does anyone have any experience with a new gasification wood boiler? Either way I could always heat with a unit heater from the boiler in the garage, plus the house. This would be a huge cost savings and I'd be able to spend that money on the boiler itself.

Being able to heat the house too is huge. Even if the boiler has to take over on occasion I'd still be saving a ton on fuel and LP for the garage.

Does anyone have any experience with a new gasification wood boiler?
Not personally...but have been watching them due to a family member may be upgrading soon...it seems the guys that have them love them. Heatmaster seems to be a good one. (for outdoor models)

What is the biggest change? I thought all stoves had to re-burn? Do you know if boilers are affected? I would assume they are..
Everybody has to pass the new emissions regs...and only one has on the forced air wood furnaces (Kuuma)

There are a number of boilers that have passed...

Kuuma is the best option, I see that Home Depot is selling the basic Shelter furnace.
I've heard rumors of a Fire Chief FC1720, but haven't seen it.

I see that Home Depot is selling the basic Shelter furnace.
That, and its sister (FC1000E) are the target practice model(s) I mentioned earlier...

Last edited:
Reactions: begreen
Oooh, 8# splitting mauls at 100 paces. Now it's getting interesting.

I'm going to bring this thread back from the dead. Well, the garage is built and cold is settling in. I did in fact install the in-floor radiant heat and manifold (installed myself) as well as completely insulating the floor and knee walls. With that said, and fuel/gas on the rise, I'm seriously considering a new Crown Royal, Heatmaster wood boiler with tax credit. Piping will be expensive as I would not go with the cheap wrapped stuff that fills with water, rather foam filled.

I spent the time and money for in-floor, by golly I'm gonna use it one way or the other! I get told time and time again it's the best heat money can buy in a garage.

I'm going to bring this thread back from the dead. Well, the garage is built and cold is settling in. I did in fact install the in-floor radiant heat and manifold (installed myself) as well as completely insulating the floor and knee walls. With that said, and fuel/gas on the rise, I'm seriously considering a new Crown Royal, Heatmaster wood boiler with tax credit. Piping will be expensive as I would not go with the cheap wrapped stuff that fills with water, rather foam filled.

I spent the time and money for in-floor, by golly I'm gonna use it one way or the other! I get told time and time again it's the best heat money can buy in a garage.
Good luck and let us know how it works. My 1800 feet of pex in the insulated slab is setting unused for the last 10 years. Boilers are super expensive!

Not personally...but have been watching them due to a family member may be upgrading soon...it seems the guys that have them love them. Heatmaster seems to be a good one. (for outdoor models)
This did happen then...HeatMaster G10000...real piece of engineering it is...impressive machine...although I'm sure a G4000 or 7000 would be more appropriately sized for the OP.

Good luck and let us know how it works. My 1800 feet of pex in the insulated slab is setting unused for the last 10 years. Boilers are super expensive!
They are expensive, and it's the wrong time to be buying anything really!

If you asked me 10 years ago about a wood boiler I'd say you're nuts and they are dirty smoke dragons and no way I would consider. But I'm telling you, I saw one at a fair that was running and had no idea until he opened the door, and it wasn't even on a heat cycle. Totally blown away.

Reactions: Highbeam