Need clarification on flue

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

arro222

Aug 2, 2013
RI
Just moved in to the new place and installed a Quad 3100 w 6" neck.
The house flue is 8"of insulated pipe inside the house adjacent to the outer wall. It is15' high from stove.
I have read here that larger diameter flue pipe is more sluggish with draft.
This is not my problem. The opposite seems true. This combo of 3' of black stove pipe of 6" diamter w one elbow and a damper going to an 8" adapter to connect to the chimney 8" flue rushes like a freight train. With only 5 splits averaging 5" sides, this stove over fires and stove is completely shut down.
There is minimal "quelling" of the flame like my other 5700 ST demonstrates. the 5700 flame is like in slow motion in comparison and that is with 22' of 6" flue.

Is this the result of the differentiated stove/flue sizing I found at this house or did Quadrafire open up their air intakes to meet EPA standards?
At - 10* Fahrenheit and w just the wood stove providing heat, the entire rest of the house was at 68" with the temp gauge directly on top of stove pegged into "over fire".
The room where the stove reside was 77*. The stove put out an honest 4 hrs at this output with 6 splits.
You could hear the rush of air moving up the flue from 12' away..
I need to slow things down with either a 6" flue retrofit or put in a second damper.
One damper doesn't seem to be doing much.
This stove does not copy in flame characteristics of my Quad 5700 but how the larger Quad operates is why I bought the 3100.
Nope.

At - 10* Fahrenheit and w just the wood stove providing heat, the entire rest of the house was at 68" with the temp gauge directly on top of stove pegged into "over fire".
Low outdoor temps will create a stronger draft. Is this a step top or a flat top? What is the actual stovetop temperature reading and where is the thermometer located?

Low outdoor temps will create a stronger draft. Is this a step top or a flat top? What is the actual stovetop temperature reading and where is the thermometer located?
Flat top with gauge dead center on said surface. Gauge reads700* as "over fire" territory and aware of lower temps creating more draft. Stove had a slight glow on top. Last nite at -10*, it was over firing.
Tonight was at 40* ambient outside. 5 Splits created an "over fire" within a half hour w stove completely shut down. 80* in stove room and 72* in rest of the house which makes me crazy as I am comfortable at 65*.
It's as if I cannot put more than 3 or 4 splits in this stove which lasts 4-5 hrs till embers but this is not "over night burn" territory.

700 and even 750º is high, but safe on this stove. The glow on top is not. That would indicate the temperature approaching 900º at that location. Is there a thermometer on the stovepipe? If so, what is the temp reading?

It's sounding like this setup would benefit from a key damper in the stovepipe. That will help reduce the volume of flue gases flowing through the pipe.

700 and even 750º is high, but safe on this stove. The glow on top is not. That would indicate the temperature approaching 900º at that location. Is there a thermometer on the stovepipe? If so, what is the temp reading?

It's sounding like this setup would benefit from a key damper in the stovepipe. That will help reduce the volume of flue gases flowing through the pipe.
Yeah I have a damper installed. The gauge simply pegs at 700* so it probably did get to the 900's.
I'm gonna take the side shield off and see what i can see as it applies to the timer inherent to this stove actually operating to shut the start up air off.
I think to meet epa standards, the manufacturers may have attempted to keep things open or made air feed holes larger.
I'll let you know what I can find here incase others have this stove. (Quadrafire 3100 Millennium)