Need cleaning tip on old stove footprint in the hearth floor

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

PelletNJUSA

Mar 5, 2022
USA
Hi all,

Thank you in advance for your assistance. I removed my pellet stove a few weeks ago, closed off the thimble and replaced the wall. The stove left a mark on the floor where it had been for 19 years and the area under is discolored compared to the rest of the flooring. ANY IDEA HOW I CAN CLEAN THIS UP, CHEMICAL WISE ?

Also, one of the stones is lose, how do I re-glue it down to the slab below ? Mortar ? Thanks.

Pellet stove floor  .jpg

I think the tiles NOT covered by the stove have discolored.

I think this is mostly greasy stuff; you can see it less of an issue behind the stove (where no one walks - with bare feet? - or pets?). This is NOT saying the household was dirty, just that porous parts discolor when in use.

I'd see if you can oil or wax the tiles that were underneath the stove to try to get them darker, before you try to change the color of the other tiles that have slowly taken on the color over 19 years - the latter will be hard.

I'll let more experienced folks advice about resetting the loose one (I'd use some thinset mortar after chiseling out some under the loose tile, but this might not at all be the best solution).

Hi all,

Thank you in advance for your assistance. I removed my pellet stove a few weeks ago, closed off the thimble and replaced the wall. The stove left a mark on the floor where it had been for 19 years and the area under is discolored compared to the rest of the flooring. ANY IDEA HOW I CAN CLEAN THIS UP, CHEMICAL WISE ?

Also, one of the stones is lose, how do I re-glue it down to the slab below ? Mortar ? Thanks.

View attachment 295351
I would suggest using TSP (trisodium phosphate.) You should be able to purchase this at a hardware store.

I'd try hot soapy water and a stiff brush to clean it
a little elbow grease also needed
To reinstall the loose tiles the quickest method I have
used is Lapage PL premium polyurethane construction adhesive