Need confirmation please.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Yamaha_gurl

Aug 31, 2008
Ontairo
I purchased a Fisher Honey bear wood stove and it has a plate on the pedestal that states it must be placed on a non-combustable surface. Nothing else. So would it be safe to place it on ceramic tile? The pedestal itself is about 8 inches high and is attached to a base that goes all around under the stove. I have not found any manuals, searched everywhere cannot find anything.

Help please? :)

It should be. That is all mine required. The tile should probably be grouted together to prevent anything like embers from getting to a combustible underneath the tile.

SlyFerret said:
Anything in the stove manual?

-SF

I did post " I cannot find a manual " right? ;-P Once again, it's a wood stove made in 1982...company no longer exists :(

You should be fine using ceramic tile, the Canadian government has several exellent websites to guide you through the process of installation if you don't have a manual.

Yamaha_gurl said:
I did post " I cannot find a manual " right? ;-P Once again, it's a wood stove made in 1982...company no longer exists :(

So you did!

-SF

definetly use cemet board under the tile (not cement fiber board). it is non combustible and the tile/thinset will adhere to it much better than plywood.
here's an old thread i started when i was building my hearthpad. i included some pictures of the hearth construction that may be helpful. my manual simply stated "non-combustible" as well. no mention of "k" or "r" factors.

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/23599/

Pretty sure (99.99%) that Canada does not require anything other than a non-combustible surface under any stove unless the stove requires something different.
I was paranoid and put 1 sheet of Durarock (sp?) under my tile. Only gives me 0.5 rating but better than nothing.

Plus for better bonding you shouldn't really tile over plywood or osb. The bond sucks.

Yeah - Durock, mortar, tile - done. No mastics, and make sure you extend the tile plenty far outside the footprint of the stove. It gets plenty HOT on the floor, and it's not uncommon for embers to fall or spark out when the doors are open. Good luck!

Thanks all! Now to find brush on stove paint in Canada...anyone know? :)

Status
Not open for further replies.