Need hearth gloves

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ribs1

Sep 1, 2009
Michigan
www.cponsite.net
Any suggestions on some nice fireplace gloves?
I've got my summit running good now but I have been sort of tossing my logs in there to avoid getting burnt.
Would like some really nice ones that will also look good sitting on the hearth.
Thanks

ribs1 said:
Any suggestions on some nice fireplace gloves?
I've got my summit running good now but I have been sort of tossing my logs in there to avoid getting burnt.
Would like some really nice ones that will also look good sitting on the hearth.
Thanks

I opted for function over form in a sense. I got a pair of entry level welding gloves from a local Tractor Supply. I really enjoy them.

Six buck welding gloves at Harbor Freight. Whatever you get ain't gonna be a living room showpiece for long. And develop the habit right now of putting those gloves on before you open the door. Don't, and sometime this season you will find out why I say that. And you ain't gonna like it.

Do you guys who use gloves not use pokers and other fireplace tools? Honestly, I don't get the glove thing. I put the wood in with my bare hands and never get burned. (but I got more than my share of forearm scars from loading my old top loader)

Nevertheless, I listened to the consensus and ordered Harbor Freight welding gloves ($2.99) and received them today. . . Are the gloves to be used instead of my tools?

woodjack said:
Do you guys who use gloves not use pokers and other fireplace tools? Honestly, I don't get the glove thing. I put the wood in with my bare hands and never get burned. (but I got more than my share of forearm scars from loading my old top loader)

Nevertheless, I listened to the consensus and ordered Harbor Freight welding gloves ($2.99) and received them today. . . Are the gloves to be used instead of my tools?

I like harbor freight for a job, but not for everyday... thats just me

woodjack said:

I burn N/S exclusively anymore but I cannot imagine a E/W burner with a large firebox stove not having the longest cuffed pair of welding gloves that they can find. As to pokers, I threw mine away a long time ago. That thing was nothing but a hole in the baffle waiting to happen every time it slipped out from under a split. The five buck long tongs at Lowe's handle the "oh *^%" moments very well.

BrotherBart said:
woodjack said:

I burn N/S exclusively anymore but I cannot imagine a E/W burner with a large firebox stove not having the longest cuffed pair of welding gloves that they can find. As to pokers, I threw mine away a long time ago. That thing was nothing but a hole in the baffle waiting to happen every time it slipped out from under a split. The five buck long tongs at Lowe's handle the "oh *^%" moments very well.

Wow, that's interesting. My poker is my "do everything" tool. If gloves are better than the poker I'm in for some fun.
That being said, can I really pick up burning logs with a pair of $2.99 welding gloves?

Yes, you can pick up a burning log with fireplace gloves but they do heat up pretty quickly so watch out!

I use a poker and a long sleeve glove when loading our insert when it is hot. Got my gloves at Ace. When they wear out I'll go for the welding gloves. (I didn't know about them when I got the gloves I have now.)

I have two pairs of gloves: just-past-wrist length and almost-elbow length. I was using the former until I burned my forearm on the edge of the stove--now I am using the latter again! I usually take my first split and rake the coals forward, but I'm pickin' up a rake today.

Why are rakes so scarce?!

S

When I need gloves--rare--I grab the welding gloves I keep nearby. Made my own pokers from steel rod and an acetylene torch to heat them up to bend in a handle on one end and an angle on the other. I wanted different length pokers for each of the two stoves and the fireplace. No, I don't pick up burning stuff with the gloves. I just use them to protect my hands and forearms from heat if needed, which as I said is quite rare.

I have two different pairs -- a thin pair and a pair that is thicker due to insulation. Normally I use the thinner pair of gloves except when I'm carrying out a hot ash pan.

perplexed said:
Yes, you can pick up a burning log with fireplace gloves but they do heat up pretty quickly so watch out!

I use a poker and a long sleeve glove when loading our insert when it is hot. Got my gloves at Ace. When they wear out I'll go for the welding gloves. (I didn't know about them when I got the gloves I have now.)

Yea, you sure can pick up a burning log with welding gloves, but you'll need a new pair of gloves after that. Welding gloves are made out of leather, just like any other glove. The gloves are to protect your hands, but working around in the stove with hot orange coals should still be done with steel tools.

I will commonly reach into the flaming stove with my glove-covered hands to adjust a log, but only briefly. Grabbing a log that's covered in orange embers is not a good idea even with the gloves on. You'll burn holes in the gloves.

HF will often sell their cheap welding gloves at 3 pair for $10 or less, and they are OK for stove work, but a bit on the thin side... Problem with them, and other cheap leather gloves is the leather tends to take a "set" and harden when exposed to heat... If one goes to a real welding shop and gets the slightly better grade gloves for $10-15 / pair, they don't stiffen up as much and will give a little better protection.

Gooserider

I picked up a pair of Lincoln Electric welding gloves at HD for about $15. They have two pairs, one thicker than the other, go for the thicker. They haven't stiffened up, actually have broken in more. As for an ash rake, I made mine. Bought a piece of 1" wide by 1/8" thick steel, put a 4" bend at one end and painted it black. It's a great poker/rake.

Lincoln Electric gloves from Home Depot and a rake from rake I bought from Montpelier Stove and Flag Shop (great shop if your ever in Montpelier VT). I often use the gloves when top loading splits once the coal bed is well established otherwise it is like putting your hands in hell. I use the rake for the obvious purpose; it doesn't work well moving wood around, the gloves are better for that. Those gloves do heat up all of a sudden, so be careful.

I had nice horizontal brands across the inside of my forearms for my first winter burning. I bought thick leather gloves that go almost to elbows the second year and now my skin looks normal.

Tried the welding glove route, but they were not comfortable for the wife, so I spent the $11 at lowes for the Lemont's. Wife likes them because they are insulated leather stove gloves. Keep the wife happy and I am typically happy. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.