need help and opinions on air circulation with vents

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nico1986

Oct 18, 2013
Shirley ny
we just had a new osburn 2400 insert put in. i havea 2500 sq ft house. unit is in den on first floor have a 3/4 basement (not under den) above the den is master bedroom was thinking of adding ceiling fan in den and one at top of stairs upstairs (that one in reverse to draw air up) then add a vent from den through floor to master bedroom and see how that works and possible add some room to room vents after that for other rooms upstairs. i was hoping to hear some opinions on that idea and any additions i should think of and also what types of vents r good to look into want one with a fan to movemore air arround. thanks guys this forum has really been a help with choosing a stove and with getting wood n c/s/s it glad to be a part of it. thanks again

Probably a half zillion threads on this, and I probably started one of them at some point. Bottom line is that opinions vary and depends largely on room layout. And cutting holes in your floor almost certainly violates your fire codes, especially in NY state. I'd check with your local building inspector and/or fire inspector. Could create a nasty and expensive fix if you ever sell the house, and creates some level of additional danger for you while you're there. It will help to circulate heat, but at a price.

Ceiling fans can help circulate air in a room and remove the cool stagnant air from the corners of your room. Wood heat, heats the objects in a room and the air that come in contact with these objects is then warmed. The ceiling in your stove room is a large warm surface, so a ceiling fan can wash the air from the ceiling down the walls and along the floor.

I don't think you will want to cut holes in the floor.
Moving air from room to room and floor to floor can happen, but it takes trial a error. Blow a fan at different angles at the sides of your stove till you get the warmth to move out of your stove room into the rest of your house is a good place to start.

Thanks right now I have a fan on low blowing cool air to the insert seems to be moving more heat around then the reverse. I'm gonna put ceiling fans in the room and on the stairs upstairs and see how that works out before I ho putting any vents in thanks again

Status
Not open for further replies.