Need Help: Avalon Astoria Pellet Stove w/Auger Problem

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gman12

Sep 16, 2011
Rutland, MA
Hi Guys! I'm asking this question for help with my parents Avalon Astoria Insert Pellet Stove. You all helped me a great deal with my Quadrafire stove and I know a lot of people should be able to figure this out and I'm in good hands. Here is the problem:

My parents pulled out their insert to clean it. They went to start it back up and it turns on ok. The auger light shows its on and that it should be working. However, the auger won't turn at all to be able to feed the pellets. Does anyone have experience with the Avalon and know how to get the auger to turn again or what the issue could be?

Thanks in advance for everyone's help!

Hello

The cleaning and auger turning may be related! When we first got out Astoria and cleaned the fire box and brick, we put the fire brick back in all damp and wet. That is a big no no. The dampness gets into the wood pellets and can cause the auger to jam. You need to either stick a long screw driver up the chute or just remove the auger cover in the hopper and clean out the damp crumbled wood pellets to free the jam.

If the is not the problem, then you have to do the normal troubleshooting.
1. Check vacuum switch and vacuum hose to see it it is cear.
2. Check the Hi Limit switch to see if it is closed with a continuity tester of multi-meter.

Also another unique feature about Avalon Astoria's is the quick disconnects are notorious for failing to be conductive!. so just unplug and clean all the connectors that go to the Hi Limit switch and vacuum switch. That happened to me before season 3 and after I plugged them all back in the stove worked! Good Luck!

Thanks Don,

My parents said they fully cleaned out the auger and there is nothing in it or clogging. They also cleaned out the switch and hose. Still nothing. They seem to think it could be the motor that is bad. Do you agree? Or do you have any other ideas to try. They just didn't want to buy a motor and then it still not fix the problem.

This showed up after a cleaning - sounds like a loose connection, broken wire, pinched wire, etc. A careful visual inspection would be a good idea, IMO. The chances of the auger motor going bad during a cleaning are pretty remote.

Also, have them double check that the wires and hose are on the correct places on the vacuum switch.

Remove hose from vacuum switch and blow in it to see if it is clear. If it is clear remove both wires from the switch and jump them together. If auger runs you have a bad vac switch. If line is clogged remove it from the stove end and stick a piece of wire into the barb and clear clog. If the high limit had tripped nothing would work so it is a vac switch problem IMHO. Good luck.

If auger runs you have a bad vac switch.

Not necessarily so - the switch might be doing its job, and there is a lack of vacuum. The switch worked before the cleaning, so should work afterwards, barring its being damaged during the cleaning. There is probably something wrong that's causing a lack of vacuum, or a perceived lack of vacuum.

This showed up after a cleaning - sounds like a loose connection, broken wire, pinched wire, etc. A careful visual inspection would be a good idea, IMO. The chances of the auger motor going bad during a cleaning are pretty remote.

Also, have them double check that the wires and hose are on the correct places on the vacuum switch.
I agree....IF this just started immediately AFTER a cleaning, then I highly doubt the auger suddenly just stopped working by itself.

I also agree. Especially since that happened to me. I pulled the wires off the high limit switch and reconnected it and bingo it worked. So check all the connections (Especially the vacuum switch connectors!) and if the female connector is loose then squeeze it with the pliers to make it tight again.

Status
Not open for further replies.