need help cleaning super tall chimney

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

joe12pack

Feb 20, 2022
San Rafael, CA
I am having major problems with airflow in my wood stove with tons of smoke pouring into my room. I cleaned out my 6" liner with a Wohler viper and about two 5 gallon buckets of creosote came out so I was quite happy. However this didn't solve the problem so now I am suspecting it's the chimney cap that's completely clogged. I'm in California where they have the more restrictive chimney cap/spark arrestors with smaller holes. The problem I have is that this chimney is super tall and on a very steep roof so it will be quite dangerous to try to climb up there. The guy in the picture must be about 35-40 feet up there. I had to have a lift to install the liner 3 years ago (as shown in this pic). These lifts can be quite expensive to rent so I was thinking how I might be able to clean the chimney cap without spending a lot of money (this would be every year)? I can walk on the roof with a safety harness and I thought about banging on the chimney cap with a long pole but not sure if banging on the cap will be enough to knock the creosote loose? What about spraying it with hot water? Not sure I like the idea of water running down the liner. If I do go the route of renting a lift how much risk is there to going up and doing this myself? Or should I just bite the bullet and pay $1000+ to hire a pro to do this?

2022-02-20_8-51-47.jpg

Last edited:
I took a picture of it just now and it's completely blacked out but the grill doesn't clogged. Not sure what the inside of this thing looks like?

DSC00992.JPG

Last edited:
You can’t accesses the roof and bring a ladder with you? That’s how I clean my 30’ chimney. Just an idea.

It would be safer to do routine cleaning from the bottom with the Viper. Hire someone to clean out the upper section and cap.

10 gallons of creosote and soot is a huge volume. It indicates other issues like maybe an uninsulated liner, perhaps poorly seasoned wood, and a smoldering fire.

What is the liner connected to?

it's 3 years worth of seasoned eucalyptus. I've been told eucalyptus has a lot of oils in it? It is possible some of the wood we have been burning recently isn't seasoned. I'm not sure what the liner is connected too. Are you asking if there is something to support it inside the brick chimney? I just went up there to take a look and I think I can get a ladder up there. If so I'll bring my viper with me and see if I can get that cap off and snake it from there. stay tuned.

What stove or insert is the liner connected to? Is this for a basement fireplace?

Be careful up there. It's a long way down.

Reactions: joe12pack
Alright guys I went up there and as I suspected it was clogged up completely solid which is why my Viper couldn't make it through.

2022-02-20_13-03-16.jpg20220220_115005.jpg20220220_114525.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Hoytman
What stove or insert is the liner connected to? Is this for a basement fireplace?

Be careful up there. It's a long way down.
It's a wood insert in the living room. I will definitely make sure I clean it out every year now and not wait 3 years. Plus burning the eucalyptus might be an issue but if it just means I need to clean it out every year so be it. Once I am finished with the eucalyptus I'll switch to oak or some other hard wood. Thanks for everyone's suggestions and support here. I just joined but it's a great group.

Reactions: Hoytman
If the wood is dry enough, it should not matter. And if the oak is not dry either, you likely will run into the same problem.

Get a moisture meter (and know how to operate it properly).

Reactions: kborndale
I have a general tools one, model mmd4e.
I bought mine at the orange store.

Reactions: joe12pack
I think we all are breathing a collective sigh of relief. I am very glad that this stuff did not ignite. Never wait for 3 yrs to clean again. You were on the brink of a tragedy. By the looks of things, I would recommend sweeping at least twice a season. And get the eucalyptus split and stacked. It needs at least 2 yrs to season.

Poorly seasoned wood is only one of the factors here. In order to get to the root of the problem and prevent it from happening again, it would really help to know more about the stove you are burning in and how it is being run.

What stove is this with? Is this a basement installation?

I think we all are breathing a collective sigh of relief. I am very glad that this stuff did not ignite. Never wait for 3 yrs to clean again. You were on the brink of a tragedy. By the looks of things, I would recommend sweeping at least twice a season. And get the eucalyptus split and stacked. It needs at least 2 yrs to season.

Poorly seasoned wood is only one of the factors here. In order to get to the root of the problem and prevent it from happening again, it would really help to know more about the stove you are burning in and how it is being run.

What stove is this with? Is this a basement installation?

Can you explain how a (possible) basement installation would contribute?

Hi Joe,

I also have a very tall chimney on a very steep roof, completely impractical to walk up there. Heck, I've had professional chimney sweeps look at my roof, and back out of going up there.

As begreen already stated, cleaning bottom-up is the way to go. And as others have stated, at LEAST once per year, maybe more like twice per year, until you convince yourself that's not necessary. The good news is that a bottom-up cleaning is quick and easy, I can do mine in just a few minutes.

If your insert is a catalytic model, you can usually just open the bypass damper, and run your viper up thru the bypass. If you have a non-cat, then I believe you'll be stuck removing the pipe to do your cleaning, one reason I always laugh when the non-cat guys claim cat stoves are somehow more difficult.

If you do have to disconnect your pipe and pull the insert out to do the cleaning, look at drilling a 3/4" hole in the bottom of a RubberMaid pitcher, and taping that to the bottom of the pipe. I used to do this, before I figured out it was just easier to jam the brush thru the bypass, and the pitcher would catch all the crap coming down the pipe.

If the Viper isn't as easy as you'd like, check out the Soot Eater. This is what I use, and it works well, although I have had (twice, now!) the damn thing come apart inside the chimney, the locks between segments aren't as secure as I'd like.

10 gallons..... jesus christ! i get about 2 cups worth per year.

Sadly 10 gallons isn't all that uncommon

Reactions: Ashful
Hi Joe,

I also have a very tall chimney on a very steep roof, completely impractical to walk up there. Heck, I've had professional chimney sweeps look at my roof, and back out of going up there.

If the Viper isn't as easy as you'd like, check out the Soot Eater. This is what I use, and it works well, although I have had (twice, now!) the damn thing come apart inside the chimney, the locks between segments aren't as secure as I'd like.

LoL I have the same problem with finding someone to clean my rain gutters. All the rain gutter guys want to do the easy homes but when they see mine they walk away. As you can see from my pic the viper was not able to penetrate this wall of creosote. If I had done this once a year I wouldn't have had this buildup and the Viper would have done the job just fine so it's not really it's fault. wow the soot eater would have been a lot cheaper and it looks like it might have been able to poke thru my thick layer of creosote as it looks to be stiffer than the Viper. The Viper was nice when I was on the roof on the ladder as it's super portable but this looks great too. I'll remember it for future reference.
2022-02-20_17-05-48.jpg

LoL I have the same problem with finding someone to clean my rain gutters. All the rain gutter guys want to do the easy homes but when they see mine they walk away. As you can see from my pic the viper was not able to penetrate this wall of creosote. If I had done this once a year I wouldn't have had this buildup and the Viper would have done the job just fine so it's not really it's fault. I'll check out the soot eater. thanks!
We have a viper that hasn't been off the shelf for about 10 years since we got rotary equipment. I really never thought it did a good job