need help cleaning super tall chimney

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Some of us don't think of the stove as an appliance and enjoy the interaction. Most cat stoves are not thermostatically controlled. They often don't have much more operational temperature range or longer burn times than the non-cat. And on the opposite end, the non-cat can often put out more heat when it's really needed and very cold.

Then, as you criticize others, I would advise you to add those caveats to your rather blanket, too generalized posts, to be more informative.

Then, as you criticize others, I would advise you to add those caveats to your rather blanket, too generalized posts, to be more informative.
Ashful has a track record of these boastful posts. I've been there and done that with him. Not repeating this all over again.

Ashful has a track record of these boastful posts. I've been there and done that with him. Not repeating this all over again.

I have heard. But in this case your "nonsense" remark may have more roots in said history than actual reality, as your post contained an improperly general statement as well and his was not nonsense when actually looking what the context/explanation was rather than focusing on one sentence.

Have it your way. I am out of here.

Geez guys... didn't mean to cause so much trouble. I think begreen is reacting to some things I may have said in the distant past, in applying the "nonsense" word to this recent post. It's all good.

I think what I said here, call it nonsense or not, was accurate. What begreen may have extrapolated from it, based on disagreements we've had in the past, may also be true. But I think that in this case, he thought I was implying more than I said.

No worries though... as he correctly said, plenty of people are heating just fine with non-cats, and plenty also enjoy more interaction. Different strokes for different folks.

This is how I do the Top Down in my stove.

Beautiful view of the Bay . . . not such a beautiful view of the chimney.