I have a 1,200 sqft raised ranch with a wood stove in the basement, currently serving as a wine rack (pictured below). I had a bunch of oak, ash, and birch trees come down on my property this summer that I want to start burning this winter to save on propane and have a reliable heat source for when the power goes out (and wood stoves are just nice).
The stove is an Earth Stove, but I don't know the year/model. The masonry chimney extends from the basement up past the roof, with a little cleanout door at the bottom behind the stove. I had it inspected when I bought the house two years ago (attached below), and the chimney tile is in poor shape and needs to be replaced. I got a quote along with the inspection for pulling a permit ($300), removing the tile ($1,600), replacing it with a flexible liner ($2,675 materials + $800 labor), replace the pipe from the stove to the wall ($150), and install a new stove (Blaze King Princess, $4,280). So that's $5,525 to fix the chimney, plus $4,280 for the new stove, for a total of $9,805. That's more than I'd like to spend (I'm sure prices are higher now, too), and I have some questions.
1) I've settled on doing the chimney work myself, I think I can do it for about $2,500. From reading posts on the forum, it seems like my best option would be to remove the clay tile (I'm renting a removal tool), install a new cap, and just abandoned the cleanout door behind the stove since I can just take the stovepipe off. The thimble also needs replaced. Would there be any benefit to using a rigid liner with a t-section to utilize the cleanout?
2) The top of the chimney was built up with bricks and causes a slight constriction. Should I leave them or remove them (assume the chimney would still be up to code)? I plan on getting a cap that covers the entire top of the chimney anyway, and I think it may sit better with the bricks removed.
3) Do I need a new stove? A newer one would burn better/cleaner/longer, but I know nothing about Earth Stoves and whether or not they'd be worth keeping. It does look like, at a minimum, the door would need to be resealed. I wouldn't mind taking the money I save on the chimney and putting it towards a new stove. From what I've read, the Princess is a great stove. I have family with a top-loading Harman that's a beast, too.
4) Is it worth it? While the stove would be nice, I'm not sure the house layout will work well. There is a single vent above the stove into the dining area, and a staircase down to the basement in the middle of the house. I'm not sure in that will be enough to circulate the heat into the bedrooms, and I don't want my basement to be a sauna while the rest of the house is freezing, especially since we don't spend any time down there (beyond me cleaning and working on house projects). Should I run the old stove for a season, and then revaluate in the spring?
The stove is an Earth Stove, but I don't know the year/model. The masonry chimney extends from the basement up past the roof, with a little cleanout door at the bottom behind the stove. I had it inspected when I bought the house two years ago (attached below), and the chimney tile is in poor shape and needs to be replaced. I got a quote along with the inspection for pulling a permit ($300), removing the tile ($1,600), replacing it with a flexible liner ($2,675 materials + $800 labor), replace the pipe from the stove to the wall ($150), and install a new stove (Blaze King Princess, $4,280). So that's $5,525 to fix the chimney, plus $4,280 for the new stove, for a total of $9,805. That's more than I'd like to spend (I'm sure prices are higher now, too), and I have some questions.
1) I've settled on doing the chimney work myself, I think I can do it for about $2,500. From reading posts on the forum, it seems like my best option would be to remove the clay tile (I'm renting a removal tool), install a new cap, and just abandoned the cleanout door behind the stove since I can just take the stovepipe off. The thimble also needs replaced. Would there be any benefit to using a rigid liner with a t-section to utilize the cleanout?
2) The top of the chimney was built up with bricks and causes a slight constriction. Should I leave them or remove them (assume the chimney would still be up to code)? I plan on getting a cap that covers the entire top of the chimney anyway, and I think it may sit better with the bricks removed.
3) Do I need a new stove? A newer one would burn better/cleaner/longer, but I know nothing about Earth Stoves and whether or not they'd be worth keeping. It does look like, at a minimum, the door would need to be resealed. I wouldn't mind taking the money I save on the chimney and putting it towards a new stove. From what I've read, the Princess is a great stove. I have family with a top-loading Harman that's a beast, too.
4) Is it worth it? While the stove would be nice, I'm not sure the house layout will work well. There is a single vent above the stove into the dining area, and a staircase down to the basement in the middle of the house. I'm not sure in that will be enough to circulate the heat into the bedrooms, and I don't want my basement to be a sauna while the rest of the house is freezing, especially since we don't spend any time down there (beyond me cleaning and working on house projects). Should I run the old stove for a season, and then revaluate in the spring?
Any advice is appreciated!