Need help deciding: New stove install BK Ashford 30.2 vs PE Alderlea T5 Le Classic ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Hi everyone,
Long time lurker here! We are finally ready to install a stove in our 880 sqft bungalow (+768sqft basement). We would like a little guidance/reassurance on which model to purchase.

Our house is 24' x 32' (2x4 walls -R 14), with a 12'x10' addition (2x6 walls - R 18), built in 1961. Attic is newly R50 cellulose. Basement is poured concrete, unfinished, not insulated even at the sill (I know, I'm on it.) Vinyl windows from 1995. We live on Cape Breton Island, Nova Scotia, and the weather here is not extremely cold (and getting milder every year). We run our hot water oil furnace from September to June. Long shoulder season. Coldest from Jan- March -15C - +5C. We already have our wood stacked and drying, with 4 cords outside, 4 cords inside and aggressively running the dehumidifier. Wood is a mix of birch and maple, split. It's damp here.

House Layout.jpg

We are having a tough time pulling the trigger on a stove. Right now we are considering the Blaze King Ashford 30.2 and the Pacific Energy Alderlea T5 Le Classic. We also were looking at the Jotul Oslo f500 V3 and the Hearthstone Heritage, but ruled them out looking at reviews. We are planning on putting the stove where the red square is on the main floor in the living room. Chimney will be a selkirk style, top vent straight through ceiling. We are going BIG on the stove so we can run it lower and hopefully heat the entire main floor.

Any advice?

Both will do the job, big would be the Alderlea T6. The T5 is a medium-sized stove. Both are good heaters. The T5 is a much simpler stove and not too draft sensitive. The BK has thermostatic operation for a more appliance-like heat. With either one, the bedrooms will be cooler regardless.

How tall will the flue system be from stovetop to chimney cap?

With the BK you need a pretty perfect chimney. Really tall too at 15’ above the stovetop if there are no bends. That’s tough on a single level home.

Have you seen the other BK models? The princess is less draft sensitive. I understand if you’re after that cast iron look.

With long shoulder seasons like yours and a house with insulation in the R50 area as you describe, I'd lean more towards the BK with the T-stat control for better temp regulation, the BK can burn hot when needed, but the it also can be turned way down when other stoves can not.

Check out stoves from sbi such as enerzone,drolet and osburn.made In Quebec and outstanding customer service

Having had stoves from both companies in my house, I would never give up my blaze king! They take a little getting used to, and they’re a little fussier about wood. But I’m still amazed when I come back to the stove after 12, 14, 18hrs and the house is still 70 and the stove still is warm and has coals and an active cat! I’m on the opposite coast from you in BC just a bit inland, and have very similar heating season.

Good point about the chimney. I feel like 15' total might be towering over our little house, our roof line is only 4/12, ceilings 7'10". I am drawn to the efficiency and the long burn times in the Blaze King, but I don't want to be struggling with draft.

Would we agree that a the T5 Alderlea would be more forgiving to less-than-optimal wood? Like say if there were a shortage of hardwood in the future, stranger things have happened.

Good point about the chimney. I feel like 15' total might be towering over our little house, our roof line is only 4/12, ceilings 7'10". I am drawn to the efficiency and the long burn times in the Blaze King, but I don't want to be struggling with draft.

Would we agree that a the T5 Alderlea would be more forgiving to less-than-optimal wood? Like say if there were a shortage of hardwood in the future, stranger things have happened.

Both stoves will burn less than optimal wood the same. More creosote, less efficient, but you’ll stay warm.

I have the same low ceiling and 4:12 roof. 12’ of total chimney met the spec for my princess when I installed it. I don’t like roof braces so going to 15’ is not going to happen unless I must. Why don’t they design these stoves for 12’?

The PE seems to be much less sensitive to draft than the ashford. Things like smoke rollout from the open door or smoke smell overnight.

A T5 will function well on a straight-up 12 ft chimney unless there are extenuating circumstances.