need help finding a furnace

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I dont think they make an outdoor forced air, boiler maybe. I cant quite grasp the pellet back up. You want a wood stove that can also burn pellets? Or you gonna put a pellet stove in the house for back up? Little more explanation would be better

If you have forced hot air in the house?

You would use a closed loop of [hot water/anti-freeze]] system from a/the boiler outside(coil outside at wood furnace)
to a coil inside at ductwork (heat exchanger).....

Other's would have to chime in on specifics regarding any premanufactured systems out there
if they exist.

Don't think you would want to burn pellets to heat a heat exchanger.... (too much NRG loss)

No I don't want a boiler don't like the idea or the type of heat. I'm looking for a outdoor forced air wood burner that when the fire box go cooling down the pellet BACKUP (that is apart of the same unit) kicks is to continue heating the house. They make every other configueration of fuel

you don't want a forced air wood burner outside. Between the regs on the distance it needs to be away from the house the heat loss is not worth the price or the work to get it to work properly. Even if u bury the ducting their is still lots of heat loss. Its much easier to insulate a water line for a boiler system than a furnace duct. No mater how well you insulate their is always going to be lots of heat loss on a forced air. Iv never seen one with pellet back up as to get enough BTU as the wood you were burning really would not be cost effective.

Also a wood burning furnace only needs filling once or twice a day depending on the size of wood you are burning. Whole logs burn forever and just like a pellet stove once you get tweeked in

You missed what I was talking about.....

Look up what a "heat exchanger" is... understand it's principles...
then you will understand how one would be used to accomplish
having forced hot air heat inside your abode.

Yes, I know someone with Oil back up.......

you would probably have to create your own pellet back system....

It is all about intention.... and the ability to market something...

AND also "price point" (what is someone will to pay for something)

You should see if you can find someone in you area with a
outdoor wood furnace(pick their brains).....

The ones(people with outdoor wood furnaces) I know of.... never see their oil burners kick on at all...
He loads it with wood and later, loads it with more wood.......

You missed what I was talking about.....

Look up what a "heat exchanger" is... understand it's principles...
then you will understand how one would be used to accomplish
having forced hot air heat inside your abode.

What your discrbing is an outdoor boiler. That is not what the OP asked about. He/she does not want a boiler sys. I dont think there is a wood/pellet stove out there on the market, one would have to design and build it.

As stated earlier an outdoor forced air furnace would be impractical. The only thing possible would be to build a furnace room, so to speak, connected to your house in a central location. In this same room you would have to have a separate pellet furnace and connect it into the Duct work. You’re going to pay around 15,000 for a good phase two wood furnace. Are you anywhere near Pennsylvania?

Thanks! Jrem,,

(Outdoor forced hot air system = impractical)(too much NRG loss)

However,

If you want to feed something like "mad" with wood. (and it needs to be outside)

You have a furnace outside (water is a better carrier of NRG than AIR)

You run the furnace heated water to the "plenum" inside your abode (if you don't know the term Plenum - look it up)

At this point (at the plenum)

You do a nice little exchange of NRG between Water(that is freakin' really hot!) and
Air(which is in your abode).....

So go ahead,,,,,,,,,,, pump that air around........

I know you like it.......... (that is forced hot air)

It doesn't know that it came from some pipes outside.......

(the heat has been exchanged)

The technical details have been left out.(simplifying the explanation, to make it easier to understand)

See if you can look up some pictures of "heat exchanger systems"

You may see some stuff called "heat pumps" (same principle --- slightly different)

look at some pictures... It will help to see.....

Reactions: JRemington
Thanks! Jrem,,

However,

If you want to feed something like "mad" with wood. (and it needs to be outside)

You run the furnace heated water to the "plenum" inside your abode (if you don't know the term Plenum - look it up)

You do a nice little exchange of NRG between Water(that is freakin' really hot!) and

The technical details have been left out.(simplifying the explanation, to make it easier to understand)

You may see some stuff called "heat pumps" (same principle --- slightly different)

What you’re talking about more understandably would be water to air units. As you describe he could put a 100,000 BTU exchanger in the hot air plenum of his furnace. I have no idea why anyone would want to go out in the cold and load them things.

Reactions: railfanron
Yup!
Yeah, loading them in the cold. I concur.
Perhaps, timing is everything.. with one of those beasts....
I don't really know much about them, in terms of their feeding habits.
A friend of mine has used on for years, with radiant flooring type setup under slab....
beautiful system... I will have to ask about feeding times for his beast.....

Thanks! Jrem,,

However,

Extremely hot. A unit we were experimenting with actually melted the water line. Had a secondary run going to the garage ( 2 1/2 bay wide , double deep, and 13ft ceiling) used a rad out of Honda civic and box fan behind on low. Heated the garage so well we had to put a thermostats on to shut it down

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk

U all have your heads stuck in the sand l have ran an outdoor forced AIR woodburner for the last ten years with very little maintaince unlike the guy down the road with his BOILER I just wanted to know if a product was available or not I don't need a bunch of lib-tards telling me what to buy. I out

Have a nice day :)

Reactions: zrock
WTF lol. If you’ve ran one for ten years then you should know where to get one. I clearly explained how it could be done. It’s just not the practical way most people do it. Just out of curiosity. Was the ductwork on the one you ran for 10 years plumbed underground or held by sky hooks.

Nice, innovation there with the Honda Rad....... "Truly Radical"

I have known of people using something called, "Heat dump" for the excessive heat....
Basically, a heat sink.