Need help for with stove pipe ID/suitability

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

cocoD

Nov 5, 2018
vermont
Good Afternoon,
I am new to stoves and am trying to get as much info as I can before I install my stove in my deer camp. This forum is a wealth of info but despite my searches of the forums I could not find an answer to my question.

My neighbor gave me a stove he had in his shed- it is a VC Vigilant in good shape. I tested it in the yard and everything works well enough. He also gave me some satin finished 8" pipe with it but he does not know if they went together or if he just had the pipe from something else. It is heavy compared to double walled pipe that I have picked up recently but I do not know if it is suitable for the stove. It has some old, ripped label and all i can make out is 'UL Listed' and 'Cooley' (presumably Hart and Cooley). Is this type A pipe? (which I understand would be suitable for the stove) or could it be b-vent (which I know would not be suitable).
What else could I use to determine the type of pipe it is?
Any and all help is appreciated.

Post a pic. We may be able to ID it.
IMG_20181105_154652320.jpg IMG_20181105_154659971.jpg IMG_20181105_154708998.jpg IMG_20181105_154850784_HDR.jpg IMG_20181105_154829920_HDR.jpg IMG_20181105_154713673.jpg

it also says Model D Issue 146A if that helps

Last edited by a moderator:
It looks like class a chimney to me. But it also looks pretty old and beat. I wouldnt use it if it was my cabin

It looks like class a chimney to me. But it also looks pretty old and beat. I wouldnt use it if it was my cabin
I think you are right about it being old...and beat. There are four good sections out of the six. would it be suitable to run outside the wall? What is it about it that you would be hesitant to use? Would it present a safety issue?

I think you are right about it being old...and beat. There are four good sections out of the six. would it be suitable to run outside the wall? What is it about it that you would be hesitant to use? Would it present a safety issue?
If that insulation is compromised yes it could be a safety issue

If that insulation is compromised yes it could be a safety issue
I see. So where this is a free offering I would like to salvage it if I could but only if it can be salvaged. How would I determine if the insulation is actually suitable for use or not? I appreciate what you are saying I am just trying not to turn away a free item if possible.

I see. So where this is a free offering I would like to salvage it if I could but only if it can be salvaged. How would I determine if the insulation is actually suitable for use or not? I appreciate what you are saying I am just trying not to turn away a free item if possible.

It turns out that one person's trash usually isn't someone else's treasure, in most instances (this one included), it's just trash.

The fact that you said it was heavy is not a good sign. I dont know of a test you can do though.