Need Help Identifying A Stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BrotherBart

Modesterator
Staff member
Hey gang I need some help identifying a stove. This one is not far from me and I am going to see about getting a look at it but I haven't been able to find any information on it. It must be older because of the two door set-up and that handle above the door makes me think it is a cat. But I can't find where VC has ever made a Shelburne.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170004525407

Thanks

BrotherBart said:
Hey gang I need some help identifying a stove. This one is not far from me and I am going to see about getting a look at it but I haven't been able to find any information on it. It must be older because of the two door set-up and that handle above the door makes me think it is a cat. But I can't find where VC has ever made a Shelburne.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170004525407

Thanks

This was an insert made by a company called the Vermont Stove Co. or something like that - NOT Vermont Castings.

I would suggest that you deep-six this one....in other words, it is pretty much Junk.

Happy 4th.

Thanks Craig. Once again hearth.com saves the day.

BrotherBart said:
Thanks Craig. Once again hearth.com saves the day.

I'll have to add this company to the wiki. Just FYI, they sold direct to the consumer and used flashy marketing materials like Vermont Castings. I'm certain they got a LOT of business because of the name and location similarity. They made inserts only, in 2 or 3 models.

They were very nice looking...especially for the times....but not super heaters - too much of the insert was back in the FP and also some of the convection chambers were either small or non-existent.

I bought one of these off craigslist for $350 3 days ago, and now see one closer to me for $50 (not as nice shape). I like the looks and the flush mount, and was happy with the heat output. I think the fan could be more powerful though. Air doesn't kick too far forward. Most heat is felt within a foot or so of the stove.

Two problems I have with this unit:

1) Fire exhaust is too far forward (although the complaint above says too much of firebox too far back). I'd probably have to rip out my damper and maybe even some bricks to get a direct up flow. Two of the five inch deep (by 11 inch wide) exhaust is directly below the metal under the masonry two front of my fireplace. There's only 3 inches between the top of the unit and that metal sheet too. So if I try to exhaust duct this thing, it's got to go back two inches before rising three, a five inch 90 degree would take at least five inches. A 45* would be better I guess, but doubt it would turn two inches in less than three too. (All of this before any double-wall or anything like that. I'm envisioning something like house ductwork with a single layer of sheet metal.) Round duct is simply not an option. (I know I need to research this, and the ducting options.) As a result of my "slammer" installation, after about 24 hours of burning, I've already got creosote on the FRONT of my fireplace. Now I see why a slammer installation is not exactly safe.

2) The fan is REALLY loud. Now the fan doesn't even work. I pulled the plug on the fan this morning (which I just had running down my ash trap into my basement) when the unit was cold, and then plugged it back in when the fire got hot this morning. The fan was louder, and not kicking air. I assume what was going on was the exterior fan must have been running (I guess this fan is for cooling the fan motor), but the big motor for the room circulation was struggling to move at all. This was a bummer, but not the end of the world since I was thinking of trying to replace the noise maker with something a little quieter.

(Of course I also see that folks say this unit is total junk anyway).

This morning I pulled the wood, cinders and ash out (metal bucket with lid of course), and pulled my "slammer" forward to check out the fan, and hopefully get a part number off it. No luck yet, as it looks like I need to tip this 500 lb beast on it's face to get the motor off. I'll try to get that done before 5 PM today, so I can search stores before they all close for the weekend, but I'm not hopeful.

So now that I've learned quite a few things in only 3 days, I'm starting to wonder if I should upgrade this stove. I previously thought they were all just metal boxes, with fans, but now see how complex they are. I am committed to an insert, but hate the idea of spending $2000 on a new one. It seems that it will take over a year to get that return-on-investment back. On the other hand, piece of mind and knowing my family is safe is worth quite a bit.

Do the members of this forum suggest I:
a) get a new insert, somehow, somewhere? If so, I'm in the Philly area, and willing to go get the stove
b) just get (I) a new fan (or jsut fan motor), and get (II) some ducting to get the exhaust connected to my clay lined 45 foot chimney (that my chimney sweep had said would be fine (i) without a liner, and (ii) without connecting the unit to the chimney (aka "slammer" installation).

Fix it, or buy a new one?

info on the stove:
http://www.wikipatents.com/patent_full.php?id=US4465055

Thanks,
Mike

Attachments

• IMG00303.jpg
    IMG00303.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 599
  • vermont stove company - shelburne diagram.jpg
    vermont stove company - shelburne diagram.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 591
  • IMG00293.jpg
    IMG00293.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 614
mnowaczyk said:
I am committed to an insert, but hate the idea of spending $2000 on a new one. It seems that it will take over a year to get that return-on-investment back. On the other hand, piece of mind and knowing my family is safe is worth quite a bit.

There are AT LEAST a couple of inserts for under $1000.00
Drolet builds one, and Century builds one:

http://www.drolet.ca/product.aspx?CategoId=7&Id=428

http://century-heating.com/product.aspx?CategoId=7&Id=522

Englander builds one too, but I'm not sure on the price:
http://www.englanderstoves.com/13-nci.html
http://www.englanderstoves.com/50-snc13i.html
http://www.englanderstoves.com/50-tnc13i.html

You can also download the owner manual to see if it's going to fit into your existing fireplace.
Also, these inserts should have a 6" round exhaust exit, closer to the back of the stove to make liner installation easier.

Update on the Vermont Stove Company - Shelburne: I really like it... especially after running a VC 0044 (with bad seals and a busted left fan) last year. I bought a second VSC Shelburne for $50 last year. (Yes I own 3 early 80s inserts.)

The weekend after Christmas, I swapped Shelburne fans, and I'm up and running again. I cut some thick galvanized HVAC sheet metal to assure the exhaust on the slammer install is directed back to the fireplace flue, and started burning again. I'm three days in and ready to shut down due to green wood. Regardless... I really like this stove. Maybe it's a great stove for a noob like me to learn. I've got manuals, and a parts stove if anyone ever needs stuff. Please let me know.

I also found a different looking, probably separate product that looks extremely similar for sale on craigslist. The pictures don't show the top of the stove, but it looks like there is a control and two circles just above the doors that I don't have on the Shelburne. The doors are identical to the shelburne. The back of the unit looks totally different from the shelburne that has exposed insulation and no external fan box like this one.

Just hoping to provide research information on these old stoves. Hope nobody minds that I posted this here in this thread.

Attachments

• VSC on Craigslist.jpg
    VSC on Craigslist.jpg
    128 KB · Views: 429
At some point we were all newbies, though BB and a few others go back to before this forum even existed. But we're always learning and love a new look or challenge.

Re-reading the whole post, I thought it would be worth mentioning one more thing about the insert (already knowing it's pretty much junk). It is definitely not a CAT. There are two controls on the front of the shulburne...

- one you pull to force all exhaust through smoke chamber that runs from bottom-back to the front of the top exhaust. The first Shelburne I picked up pretty much completely closes the bypass. The second, more used sheburne did not seem to close off the bypass entirely... so I decided not to use it.

- the other control is a thermostatically controlled air intake. It's a small metal bar rod on the left side of the blower outlet, which only turns about a 1/4 turn.

I'm finding that I wish it was easier to open the ash pan which has a decorative cover that you need to remove first. I often open it to get tons of air in the unit to get the fire kicking quickly.

Status
Not open for further replies.