Need help identifying an older wood burning insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

rbrady

Jan 20, 2021
Southwest Michigan
Hi,

I'm looking at buying an old wood burning fireplace insert. The owner doesn't live in the house (rental) & lives out of town and doesn't know what the dimensions are.

Could someone please help in identifying please?

Thanks in advance.

Insert 1.jpg Insert 2.jpg

Looks like an oldie. What does it say on the tag on the ashlip?
I wouldn't pay much for the old fella.

I would look for something more modern depending on what the top looks like it may be hard to adapt a liner and may need an adapter fabricated.

By the looks of the openings at the sides of the faceplate it is either sealed behind the faceplate or it has a liner. If the owner is serious about selling it they will have to have the upper faceplate removed to see how and if it is connected to the chimney flue. Then measurements can be taken. If the owner is letting you go look at it, see if a liner is connected and if it comes with it. Then you will have to make sure the entire system is usable for you. I’d tell them to remove it and send pictures of the unit removed. Could be a good deal with possibilities of adding secondary combustion. Could be junk.

For you to install and use any Insert legally, the exhaust outlet needs to be connected to a liner extending up your chimney. An Insert with round outlet may connect easily, something with a larger rectangular opening requires a boot attached to the top to connect to liner.

You need to find out what building codes are enforced in your area to be sure a unlisted appliance can be installed legally if there is no UL Listing label (tag) on this Insert. Some codes require all appliances to be UL Listed. Without a UL tag it is not Listed and can’t be installed legally. This doesn’t affect its use being grandfathered in a existing installation, but it does require a flue liner directly connected for use where it is.

Many still buy and install older stoves to the safe NFPA 211 Standard which was used before, and a part of other codes taken from it. They then claim they were existing since it’s difficult to determine if it was installed before the codes were adopted. Otherwise there would be no used stove market for unlisted stoves.

Last edited: