Need help in choosing the right insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

NCnewbie

Nov 20, 2018
North Carolina
RegencyClassicH2100HearthHeaterWoodInsert-CharlotteNC-OwensChimneySystems.jpg
Regency Classic™ H2100 Hearth Heater Wood Insert

I'm brand new to this forum and definitely new to using a wood burning fireplace insert. Have been doing a bunch of research on the internet to the point that my head is about to explode. Here’s what I’m wanting to accomplish: 1. Keeping the DIY cost for units, liner, etc to around $2K, 2. Am heating the main floor of our home which is about 1600 sq. ft. 3. I would like to keep the heat in the house versus heading up the flu thus the model above photo 4. Am leaning toward non-cat. 5. Am likely going to be burning mostly seasoned soft wood from pine trees cut down and split 1 1/2 years ago (any advice?)

Am currently leaning toward something like the pictured unit above which looks like a hybrid stove/insert. Does anyone have a review of this particular model? Any thoughts or recommendations for a first-timer? Also how difficult is this kind of installation? I’m pretty handy but have never installed an insert before.

Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:
View attachment 233814
Regency Classic™ H2100 Hearth Heater Wood Insert

I'm brand new to this forum and definitely new to using a wood burning fireplace insert. Have been doing a bunch of research on the internet to the point that my head is about to explode. Here’s what I’m wanting to accomplish: 1. Keeping the DIY cost for units, liner, etc to around $2K, 2. Am heating the main floor of our home which is about 1600 sq. ft. 3. I would like to keep the heat in the house versus heading up the flu thus the model above photo 4. Am leaning toward non-cat. 5. Am likely going to be burning mostly seasoned soft wood from pine trees cut down and split 1 1/2 years ago (any advice?)

Am currently leaning toward something like the pictured unit above which looks like a hybrid stove/insert. Does anyone have a review of this particular model? Any thoughts or recommendations for a first-timer? Also how difficult is this kind of installation? I’m pretty handy but have never installed an insert before.

Thank you.
Based upon your price point, you'll be going with a budget stove, like I did, unless you find a used stove.

You'll get good guidance here, just ask.

It's daunting to do it yourself, but usually do-able.

The stuff I found the most challenging included cutting the damper out (not difficult to do, just intimidating), and the roof work, because the roof is steep and I was scared.

And everything was, for the first time.

You'll want to get up on your roof and measure the chimney opening and take pictures.

Also measure your fireplace, front to back at both bottom and top, sides to side at front and back, and bottom and top. All dimensions of the opening, and take pictures there, too.

Here you can find a few budget options. I went with one of their kits, and only needed to buy liner insulation and a little hardware to complete it
https://myfireplaceproducts.com/us_en/heaters/inserts/wood

Thanks can you please tell me more about cutting the damper out? That’s a real concern for me.
Well, you'll have to get in there and take a look at what you have. Take a couple of good pictures of it for us.

The damper was a real concern for me, too. But, it had to be done. I himmed and hawed about it for a while, it seemed so permanent. Then, I finally decided, if I want a stove insert with a chimney liner, it had to go. Once it was done, I did not regret it. Don't even consider smashing the liner to fit it through.

Sometimes the damper can be removed by unbolting the pivot blocks on the ends. Other times it is easier to take a cut-off grinder and cut out a section for the liner to pass through.

Reactions: Easy Livin’ 3000
You can always replace with a top damper if you wreck the existing one, dont let that stop you.

You can always replace with a top damper if you wreck the existing one, dont let that stop you.
And the cut out section can be welded in again if it is saved.

All of these comments and recommendations are much appreciated. We are looking at buying a Vogelzang TR004 Colonial unit. Am wondering if anyone knows this brand/model and could provide their comments about the quality and how well it works.

It's a bargain unit from China. It's only been on the market I think for 3-4 yrs. but so far owners seem to like it.

Based upon your price point, you'll be going with a budget stove, like I did, unless you find a used stove.

You'll get good guidance here, just ask.

It's daunting to do it yourself, but usually do-able.

The stuff I found the most challenging included cutting the damper out (not difficult to do, just intimidating), and the roof work, because the roof is steep and I was scared.

And everything was, for the first time.

You'll want to get up on your roof and measure the chimney opening and take pictures.

Also measure your fireplace, front to back at both bottom and top, sides to side at front and back, and bottom and top. All dimensions of the opening, and take pictures there, too.

Here you can find a few budget options. I went with one of their kits, and only needed to buy liner insulation and a little hardware to complete it
https://myfireplaceproducts.com/us_en/heaters/inserts/wood

The Century is made in Canada and has a good track record.

Decided on the Century CW2900 insert which will be delivered next week. Waiting on receiving installation quotes. Hope to be using the stove very soon and will probably have questions about the best ways to maximize my burn times. Excited to be a part of this forum.
Congratulations! Even though it's a different brand than mine, it's almost identical. We have been real happy with it.

One thing to watch, it gets real hot fast with dry wood, so keep a close eye on it when reloading.

I'm happy to answer any questions that you have, just ask.

Where did you order from?

Have been doing a bunch of research on the internet to the point that my head is about to explode
Hope to be using the stove very soon and will probably have questions about the best ways to maximize my burn times.
Welcome to the forums! :) Keep reading them until your head explodes about nine more times, then you will have taken the first couple steps on your journey. ;) Look at the top of the topic page..the START HERE sticky thread and the Hearth Wiki link are great places to start.

Congratulations! Even though it's a different brand than mine, it's almost identical. We have been real happy with it.

One thing to watch, it gets real hot fast with dry wood, so keep a close eye on it when reloading.

I'm happy to answer any questions that you have, just ask.

Where did you order from?
We ordered directly from Century via their website. Got a good deal with a $150 rebate for ordering the stove plus liner from them.

Even if I cut out the damper, that only gives me about a 6 inche passage due to the smoke shelf almost all the way to the clay flue. Do I have to go ovalized?
I would start a new thread, titled something like "getting liner past damper?"

Reactions: moresnow
Vogelzang TR004 Colonial unit. Am wondering if anyone knows this brand/model and could provide their comments about the quality and how well it works.

It's a bargain unit from China. It's only been on the market I think for 3-4 yrs. but so far owners seem to like it.

Seems you misread. Might have skipped a post or two in between there somewhere.

Reactions: HomeinPA