Need help on gas fireplace for study

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Jason 142

Mar 3, 2021
Texas
Hi folks,

I am considering putting in a gas fireplace for my study (140sqft, 10 feet high). The study has two external walls so in the winter gets fairly cold compared to the rest of the house. Climate is reasonable and installation is pretty good as the house is only 2 years old. Study has two large doors which can be opened to the entry way of the house which has 30 ft ceilings, although I do need to keep doors closed when working. Main reason for installing the fireplace is mainly for ambience and having a fireplace in the winter in a room we spend a lot of time in. Given the size of the room I have been looking at a valor portrait series due to low turn down BTU's (6,500) and its depth which is 13 inches. My question is even at the lowest BTU's is this fireplace going to produce too much heat for the size of the room? I clearly don't want to instal it if it will never be used so any help here will be very much appreciated. Thanks in advance for your advice.

If you run your unit on a thermostat with the blower (if it has one)
turned all the way down, you might not be overheated by it.
If you need more heat, you can turn the burner or the
blower (or both) up. What is the insulation R value of the exposed walls,
& how cold does it get in whatever part of Texas you're in?

Not sure of the r value of the insulation. Weather in Texas is all over the place at winter. Recently it was way below freezing but hopefully that’s not the norm but who knows. It usually gets to 20’s at the coldest during the winter. I have a space heater (oil filled electric 1500w) which we turn on and with the door shut it can get pretty toasty once it’s heated up but with the door open it doesn’t heat the room very well if that helps. Also, don’t believe the valor has a blower.