Need help on getting heat upstairs

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Garbanzo62

Minister of Fire
Aug 25, 2022
Connecticut
I am having some trouble getting heat to other parts of the house. Particularly upstairs.
Center Stair Colonial Stairs up are by Front door. Insert is in Family room on end wall.Currently I have the Family room Ceiling fan running, a box fan in the Dining room blowing into the kitchen, a small fan on kitchen table blowing towards the hall and a small fan in Master BR blowing towards the hall.
Family room temp is in high 70s. I can get top of stairs to be between 67 and 69, Master BR maybe 65. Closet in Master BR has hatchway to over garage. I've insulated that the best I could and keep the closet door closed (hatchway door reads 52 at the moment.
Is there a better way to move the heat to get more upstairs or is the House layout working against me?
I'm trying to save $$$ on Oil and don't want to offset it by running up the electric bill.

Attachments

• layout.pdf
    24.3 KB · Views: 80
Place a fan on the floor, low speed, blowing into the family room ( in kitchen near DR doorway?). Tape strips of 2-3 sheets of toilet paper to the top of your doorways, and observe/experiment with the natural airflow - warm air towards the ceiling should move the paper so you can see where the heat is going. Aside from that, you may need vents between rooms or floors; there are building codes which regulate their use with wood stoves.