Need help! Removed pellet stove and thimble...now hole in vinyl siding

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

MA_Guy

May 20, 2020
I sold our pellet stove as we didn't use it (previous owner purchased). After removing the stove, thimble, and pipe; I now have a hole in the siding which we can't replace to match. I was thinking of installing a new 'faux' thimble with a cap on the opening but can't figure out where to find a cap that encloses the thimble in the similar manner one might do on the end of a pipe. Please help!

When a previous owner of this house apparently removed an exhaust vent, they used a matching piece of the aluminum siding as a patch over the hole. It's barely noticeable, especially since it's up high, but it might work for you.

What type of siding? Can you find anything that is close to matching? Can you remove some siding from a less visible portion of the house and use that, then patch the less visible portion with something that is close to matching? Do you have any bushes or shrubs that hide part of the siding somewhere? Behind an air conditioner? Under a deck?

If it is plastic siding, there are blanks made for mounting lights on it. They do not have a hole in them and they come in various colors . I've found them at Menards.

If it is plastic siding, there are blanks made for mounting lights on it. They do not have a hole in them and they come in various colors . I've found them at Menards.
Thanks. Hadn't thought about the light mounts. Will look into them. Kept thinking of a metal replacement for what was there and instead of installing the pipe out of the whole; finding a nice cover. Great suggestion.