Need Help! Spills on surface of woodstove!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
We had a bit of an accident on the weekend where someone fell on the woodstove which left a lot of burnt skin and soup.. My question is - how does one clean this off? Tried wiping it off but just seemed to spread around more. I'm thinking scraping would ruin the cast iron so I'm definitely open to suggestions..

We had a bit of an accident on the weekend where someone fell on the woodstove which left a lot of burnt skin and soup.. My question is - how does one clean this off? Tried wiping it off but just seemed to spread around more. I'm thinking scraping would ruin the cast iron so I'm definitely open to suggestions..
Is it enameled cast iron or painted?

Why worry. get it hot enough and it will dissipate.
Yes but it will smell horrible and if it is enamel it could damage the finish.

Well its not enameled and if by painted you mean its black and we put a paste of stove black on it every so often.
Ahh ok it is stove blacked. Yeah the finish is probably pretty screwed up you may need to wire wheel the area and then recoat it. That is one reason I prefer paint it is much more forgiving.

Reactions: webby3650
I had a rusty ring on my stove this year from my habit of boiling steel mugs of tea on the stovetop.

A couple whacks with a wire brush and a quick coat of stove brite, and it was completely gone.

Not an option in your case, but hopefully helpful to someone with a painted finish who is reading this.

Hope your burn victim is ok!

Ouch:eek: And I just finished a bowl of tater soup while reading this!