Need help understanding how to use this fireplace

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Dream.Weaver

Feb 17, 2021
West Monroe, La
Has metal insert.
Has damper that is either fully closed or open.
Had it swept during the summer, stack has an expanded metal topper around it with cap on top.

Hope the thumbnails are visible, the interior has two forward facing vents into the room and the bottom portion has a fan on each side that blows into the ash dump area.... many people who have fireplaces have tried to help me build one in it.

The grating was raised on bricks, took them out from under it.
Tried building a nice kindling fire under it, successful.
Split a bunch of logs to 1x1 or smaller strips, very hard to keep them lit.
Can eventually make a fire with glass doors closed and fans going but doesn't last long.

I don't understand the function of the fans?

The company that swept it said to get a small fire going and once the stack is warmed up and taking on smoke, start adding progressively larger pieces of wood and turn fans on.

Generally confused on how this is meant to opperate

16135943726648133664509141405282.jpg 16135944037577857194384603671049.jpg

It's a heatform style fireplace. There were several manufacturers. The fans are to assist convection of cooler room air, through the convection jacket surrounding the fireplace in order to put more heat into the room. Your procedure is correct, but if the firewood is not well seasoned, it can be a pain to keep going.

Last edited:
That usually is an ashpit and kept closed during operation.

Note that having hot air blowing up against the back of a tv set is not electronic friendly.

It does appear to be an ashpit but it has slots in that lower door and drafts air through it, I'm wondering if that is hindering my fire.
I will also add that there is a gas pipe in there that rotted off and supposedly they used wood in it and never replaced it.
Does that sound realistic?

I hope not to be overbearing with questions, I am concerned that I have the wrong kind of insert for wood burning and don't want to damage this home or ourselves.... speaking of which, I do plan to move the TV if I can use the fireplace.
Am being observant of it in the mean time.

I hope not to be overbearing with questions, I am concerned that I have the wrong kind of insert for wood burning and don't want to damage this home or ourselves.... speaking of which, I do plan to move the TV if I can use the fireplace.
Am being observant of it in the mean time.
You don't have an insert. You have a heat form fireplace. And yes it is meant to burn wood. I would try burning some cut up 2x4s and try cracking a nearby window open to see if it is a lack of makeup air

Ok, I didn't know it wasn't an insert.

Cracking a window does help get the fire started.
Ofcourse I am leaving the central heat/air unit off.
I'm not sure if enough oxygen is getting under the fire or not but the smoke does draft up the chimney well.

How dry is your wood? Can you get a strong fire going with doors opened or cracked? Does the outside of your chimney have louvers or a cleanout door?

Outside chimney has a door at very bottom that leads to the ashdump chamber, no louvers anywhere that I can find outside.
I dont have anything to check the wood with but I bought it out of a storage unit, which doesn't mean anything but supposedly "seasoned"
Window cracked open, I can start a fire easier, once it's rolling... nothing seems to change how it's burning whether window open or not.

I can burn the small kindling wood and make a nice bed of coals, large logs will catch but go out soon after... almost like the wood turns black and shrinks after burning for 20 mins or so.

Attachments

• 20210217_142538.jpg
    20210217_142538.jpg
    118.4 KB · Views: 115
  • 20210217_145758.jpg
    20210217_145758.jpg
    188.6 KB · Views: 117