need help with air gap on dishwasher

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

iron

Minister of Fire
Sep 23, 2015
southeast kootenays
i'm reconnecting my plumbing following a kitchen remodel.

we reused the dishwasher, but the sink and faucets are new. our old sink was a two bowl setup and the current is a single bowl sink with the disposal directly attached below.

i'm having an issue with the air gap connection. i've run the 5/8" line up from the dishwasher to the air gap and the 7/8" from the disposal to the air gap. this is the same connection as far as i can tell with our old setup which never had an issue.

now, however, i get water shooting out the airgap into the sink when i run the dishwasher. i tried blowing out the air gap (not the best effort in the world, but i was getting resistance from water), but that didn't seem to do anything.

any thoughts on what's going on?
IMG_20160324_215955070.jpg
IMG_20160324_220008216.jpg

Certainly sounds clogged. Try taking it apart (take the top off and there's usually a few plastic pieces that pull off to expose the tubes)
The larger tube / opening should go to the disposal. Try snaking this with a small snake or bottle brush.
Really shouldn't be any resistance when you blow into it, should hear air in the disposal when you blow.
Something got lodged in there or kinked during the swap out....

the 7/8" tube is brand new. the air gap is brand new.

i think i need to tweak the alignment of the 7/8" tube to get a better slope. my geometry constraints are such that i had to have the 7/8" tube connect on on the far side of the disposal so the p-trap wouldn't interfere with the drawer closing. i will need to reevaluate this.

got it figured out. it WAS the knockout in the disposal! i guess the previous setup didn't use the disposal for the air gap setup and must've done a direct discharge to the drain line. i should've looked more closely. instructions for troubleshooting should be something like:
1. check to see if plugged in.
2. check to see if knockout is removed in garbage disposal

Ha. At least it was simple.
Had a friend stop by when I was hooking up my dishwasher years ago. There maybe 10 big warning tags on the unit reminding you to connect drain hose prior to operating.
We go bsing and I tightened up all the stuff, plugged it in, ran a cycle, flood ensued. Drain line was just laying under the sink, pile of warning tags sitting on the counter top, lesson learned. ;em

I like seeing the undersink work. I recently replaced my house plumbing and dishwasher. I removed one of those silly two valve stopcocks and put in a second regular size stopcock for the dishwasher like you have there. Good move.

I see your tray under the valves. Is that permanent? I installed a tray under the dishwasher, it's three sided black plastic. Peeks out from under the dishwasher. It won't hold a leak but will channel a leak to the kitchen floor where you will see it and deal with it. New dishwashers are really weird. Take over an hour to wash a load and have all sorts of strange sounds and cycles. Much quieter though.

Single sink vs. double. Hmmmm. How's that working out? Long past is the day when we use one side for wash and the other for rinse. Instead we use one side to stack dirty dishes until the clean dishwasher is emptied. While storing dishes in one side I can still use the other. I worry that with a single sink the whole thing will be useless as a sink in this scenario.

Glad you figured out the issue with the dishwasher. I would never go to a single sink. We have one in our condo, where there is no dishwasher, so you always have to juggle dirty dishes around and compensate for rinse water as you go. Since counter space is a premium, can't see getting a double sink in there when we remodel...

I would bet the tray is temporary until certain there are no leaks.;)

yes, the tray is temporary to catch drips from if/when the air gap overflowed.

we had a double bowl sink previously. didn't like it. ultimately, with the dishwashers nowadays, there's no need to rinse or soak or do anything. loose stuff comes off the plates, then they get tossed in. i've never had a dirty plate come out of this dishwasher.

plus, given the geometry of the cabinets at that location, we couldn't use a base cabinet >30" wide in order to maintain symmetry. i'll post some pics when all is said and done.

Reactions: Highbeam
Status
Not open for further replies.