Need help with chimney placement (some simple diagrams)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
also keep in mind putting the stove close to door with access for wood coming into the house.
Yes, both of these rooms needing the heat have entry doors. I have a cobblestone patio about 300sqft just outside these two doors for wood keeping.

So I guess I figured out I wont be converting the pantry after all. Manual states no side loading in alcove for the F500. I'd like to know what exactly qualifies as an alcove? The space I had in mind is 8' wide by 4' deep and 7' high... Seems like there'd be plenty of room for a side loading door? Lame.

This was a super rough sketch my wife and I came up with... I'm kind of a sketchup noob but its really a powerful tool once you get deeper in to it.
I wouldn't get hung up on one stove or a side loader. You have options.

I like this idea a lot and had drawn a similar mock up before being disgruntled about draft and stack effect. Then decided to throw it out.

It’s not a load bearing wall, just stick frames.

So back corner wall is still favorable followed by this.

I still don't know why you don't just get rid of the pantry or make it smaller and do the plan you said you like but tossed. It puts the stove right at the door where the wood is, the stove is centrally located in the floor plan, it keeps the chimney inside the house for the most part and the chimney is straight up. Seems like an easy choice to me but..... it ain't my house.

I still don't know why you don't just get rid of the pantry or make it smaller and do the plan you said you like but tossed. It puts the stove right at the door where the wood is, the stove is centrally located in the floor plan, it keeps the chimney inside the house for the most part and the chimney is straight up. Seems like an easy choice to me but..... it ain't my house.
Because I'm not the only one calling the shots. So it's back to knocking it down to a broom closet or putting it against the wall on the far corner. I'll do a mock up of both and see which we like more.

I wouldn't get hung up on one stove or a side loader. You have options.
I've been looking around the stove shops in my area. Jotul is a big name around here, mainly because their manufactured somewhat local. So they're easy to find and typically reduced in price. Also they don't look too shabby.

The Quadrafires are bit more expensive and our options are limited as there's only one dealer in within 50 miles. So they can be stiff on the price.

The Alderlea lineup... T6 if a monster looking stove. Almost too much for what I'm looking for. The T5 is nice, and the cooktop feature is bonus.

I've visited three separate stove shops thus far and the best bargains seem to be on; Hearthstone, Jotul and Vermont Castings. I think the best time to buy would probably be around late Feb or early March so I have until then to pull the trigger.

The Alderlea T6 would be overkill but the T5 is a sweet stove if you like to cook and bake. The Jotul F45 would work for this area too.

I've been looking around the stove shops in my area. Jotul is a big name around here, mainly because their manufactured somewhat local. So they're easy to find and typically reduced in price. Also they don't look too shabby.

The Quadrafires are bit more expensive and our options are limited as there's only one dealer in within 50 miles. So they can be stiff on the price.

The Alderlea lineup... T6 if a monster looking stove. Almost too much for what I'm looking for. The T5 is nice, and the cooktop feature is bonus.

I've visited three separate stove shops thus far and the best bargains seem to be on; Hearthstone, Jotul and Vermont Castings. I think the best time to buy would probably be around late Feb or early March so I have until then to pull the trigger.

There is always the option of having the stove shipped directly to you from another dealer. Sometimes you can find a pretty sweet deal that includes shipping. Of course you do have to be there to get it off the truck at some point.

Because I'm not the only one calling the shots. So it's back to knocking it down to a broom closet or putting it against the wall on the far corner. I'll do a mock up of both and see which we like more.

I went back and looked at your first pics you posted....what about if the pantry closet was made smaller or even completely removed, which would open up the floor plan all across the front and give you more furniture space, and then instead of putting the stove in the far left corner or where the pantry had been, put it in the center of the bigger room against the back wall directly across from the door? Build your hearth right at the short wall between the 2 rooms, you could run the chimney either straight up or out through the wall and up the back (although we don't see what's outside the wall) and the stove would set forward enough that the heat would circulate in all directions to both areas. The overall height of the chimney would be the same either way.

Another idea to muddy the waters.

I would not but the stove in the kitchen for resale purposes and the most i portant part your wife. The stove in the other room corner makes more sense to me and a stove with a blower on it will move the heat around. Leave the pantry for the wife and remember putting a stove in the kitchen is going to suck, everytime you reload your going to make the kitchen a little dirty and no women wants that. Also running the chimney pipe outside to clean also helps with any mess staying outside.

Okay, I think I got this figured out. I'm going to spend a few days drawing up some plans and getting a material list together.

My last concern is still with the stack height. Regardless of the stove, I'm going to need 17' of total stack (from the stove up) to clear the ridge by 2'. Is this enough for decent draft, or too little?

Okay, I think I got this figured out. I'm going to spend a few days drawing up some plans and getting a material list together.

My last concern is still with the stack height. Regardless of the stove, I'm going to need 17' of total stack (from the stove up) to clear the ridge by 2'. Is this enough for decent draft, or too little?

Most stove manuals should have some reference to minimum required chimney height. I ferget what stove you were planning on using

That should be ok if it's a straight up chimney. Use double-wall connector pipe to keep the flue gases hotter and to aid draft.