Need help with replacing ZC fireplace with insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Greyhound

Aug 31, 2017
Arkansas
Hi, new to the forum here. I have researched this topic on this site and have found some good discussions but have found the most recent to be ~3 years old. Maybe there’s newer technology now? What I have is a Heatilator A36C ZC fireplace that attempts to heat a 1500sqft area and I’d like to replace it with an insert. Originally, I wanted to remove the ZC fireplace to replace with an insert but in looking at it, that will require a lot of work. I’m not wanting to do a lot of construction remodeling work, so my question is, is there something available to install “inside” the ZC fireplace that has the look and efficiency of a conventional insert? Unfortunately, I’m not well educated (yet) on what to do in this situation and encourage the response of those who have done something very similar. Thanks in advance.

Details of my situation:
Area to heat – 1500sqft
Frequency of use – mainly on weekends. Reside in Arkansas where winters are mild.
Budget – would like to stay under $3500 but would consider going higher for the “right” solution
ZC fireplace.jpg

Yes your fireplace allows for the installation of an insert in it. It says so in section 12 b of the manual. It is one of the few zc units that does but you will need a full inspection and a full liner with insulation

And no you cannot replace your fireplace with an insert. An insert needs to go into a fireplace either a traditional masonry one or one of the few zc ones that allow it.

YOu have a small firebox to start, so any insert that fits is going to be small. Might be worth the extra thought to replace with a new ZC fireplace.

YOu have a small firebox to start, so any insert that fits is going to be small. Might be worth the extra thought to replace with a new ZC fireplace.

Would the higher efficiency of small insert offer more heat than a larger, direct replacement of my Heatilator?

Would the higher efficiency of small insert offer more heat than a larger, direct replacement of my Heatilator?
The smaller the firebox, typically the less heat output in terms of length of time. If you replaced with a larger modern ZC VS. a smaller insert, yes you will get more heat out of it, for longer burn times, and less loading of course. My original reply was not meant to sway you, just pointing out that a very small insert is all that appears will fit inside what is there. A new ZC would be at minimal the same size, but more efficient than what you have. And depending on what is around the existing, you may be able to put a larger ZC in.
The other option is, to shitcan the fireplace all together, and put a freestanding stove in front of it, or possibly do an alcove install.

You have many options to consider, yeah I know, thanks for opening that can of worms. But some further thinking and research may save you from regrets down the road. Depends on how you plan to burn, how much area you want to heat, and what you end goals are. For weekend aesthetics, you prolly don't want to sink a ton of dough into it. For 24/7 burning, you'll want to think long term and what your expectations are.

Last edited:
Reactions: bholler
The smaller the firebox, typically the less heat output in terms of length of time. If you replaced with a larger modern ZC VS. a smaller insert, yes you will get more heat out of it, for longer burn times, and less loading of course. My original reply was not meant to sway you, just pointing out that a very small insert is all that appears will fit inside what is there. A new ZC would be at minimal the same size, but more efficient than what you have. And depending on what is around the existing, you may be able to put a larger ZC in.
The other option is, to shitcan the fireplace all together, and put a freestanding stove in front of it, or possibly do an alcove install.

You have many options to consider, yeah I know, thanks for opening that can of worms. But some further thinking and research may save you from regrets down the road. Depends on how you plan to burn, how much area you want to heat, and what you end goals are. For weekend aesthetics, you prolly don't want to sink a ton of dough into it. For 24/7 burning, you'll want to think long term and what your expectations are.

I certainly appreciate your input. You're right, I don't want to sink a ton of dough in it and even though I won't use it 24/7 during the colder months, I do want it to be as efficient as possible and want it to heat the 1500sqft downstairs area nicely. The Heatilator now is a hungry beast and the heat output is horrible. I had an insert in a previous home and I expected the Heatilator to be similar in comparison...until the first time I fired it up. I would think just about a modern anything would be better than what I have. I am trying to stay away from a free standing stove though, that look just isn't appealing to me.

I certainly appreciate your input. You're right, I don't want to sink a ton of dough in it and even though I won't use it 24/7 during the colder months, I do want it to be as efficient as possible and want it to heat the 1500sqft downstairs area nicely. The Heatilator now is a hungry beast and the heat output is horrible. I had an insert in a previous home and I expected the Heatilator to be similar in comparison...until the first time I fired it up. I would think just about a modern anything would be better than what I have. I am trying to stay away from a free standing stove though, that look just isn't appealing to me.
Just a thought, but look at the Englander site. You could do a freestander or their smaller insert might fit, and they are the most affordable, yet well built stove for your money.
Skip the freestander thought, typed that before I finished reading. A small insert might work for your wants. Even a decent used on off CL maybe. You will have install a new liner.

Did you contact a Heatilator dealer to see if their ECO-WINS 18 insert will fit? If so that will provide some decent heating. We'll need dimensions for the front and back and opening height in order to make any other suggestions.