Need help with stove crack

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Backspace

Hearth Supporter
Sep 24, 2006
North Central CT
We found a crack on the inside of our Jotul Oslo. I took a picture and will try to attach. The crack is from the inside right back corner diagonally to the firegrate. It almost looks like it belongs there because of the screw, but it can't because it isn't straight.

Is this dangerous? Can it be fixed? Should we just order the part?

Thank you

Backspace

Attachments

• Need help with stove crack
    crack.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 919
Yeppers , It does look like a crack. Must be a "cast iron" part ? Is it of the stove "body" or an inside part? Cost is your main thing per getting it fixed. You need to look at what it cost for the part to replace it OR you can have it welded. You can take the part to a local welding shop and have it fixed. Normally its cheaper to take them the just part. If its cast iron it should be "stick welded" and the part needs to be heated to XXX temperature , stick welded and oven cooled at a controlled degree. If a cast iron part has a crack and the crack looks like it not finished cracking or has farther to go then it needs to be drilled at the end of the crack to stop the crack from "running". The welding cost will more then likely be $50. - $100. depending on the shop rate. The average welding shop rate is from $50.-$75. an hour. This is why it might be cheaper to just replace the part vs having it welded. I'm unsure of what part i am looking at so maybe the part might not even need replaced or fixed. EDIT: Welcome to the forum Backspace. About is it safe. If its part of the stove body it could let unwanted air into the stove and make controlling the fire very hard / unsafe.

Backspace said:
We found a crack on the inside of our Jotul Oslo. I took a picture and will try to attach. The crack is from the inside right back corner diagonally to the firegrate. It almost looks like it belongs there because of the screw, but it can't because it isn't straight.

Is this dangerous? Can it be fixed? Should we just order the part?

Thank you

Backspace

I'm curious about the cause of the crack. How old is this stove? Does the stove get breakin fires after being idle for a long period? Is the ashpan door opened to start fires?

If I am guessing right that is the "top" bottom plate of the stove. The one the grate fits into. There is one almost identical to it right under it. Were it mine, I would clean the crack and give it a try with furnace cement sealing it. Expansion of the cast iron might crack open the cement and it might not. Where the plate is located crack or no crack is not going to affect air into the stove. It isn't sealed around the outside edges of the plate anyway.

Where that plate is located is going to require a complete teardown of that stove to have it welded or to replace the plate. At that point the only thing that makes sense is to replace the plate.

Caveat: I ain't no stove expert.

BeGreen:
The stove was installed and inspected the fall of 2004. No, we do not use the ashpan door to keep a fire going. That was one of the big no no's in the manual. Yes, we start small fires and build from there when stove is cold.

Roospike:
Thank you for the info on welding. DH says one of our friends does stick welding every day. I guess we will ask his opinion after calling the store where we purchased. I'm hoping it is still under warranty and is covered.

BrotherBart:
Yes, it's the top bottom plate.

Thank you for all the responses. I appreciate it.

Backspace

I would think that this would be covered under warranty. Have you contacted your dealer? I would do that before attempting a repair.

[quote author="Backspace" date="1159138562"]BeGreen:
Roospike:
Thank you for the info on welding. DH says one of our friends does stick welding every day. I guess we will ask his opinion after calling the store where we purchased. I'm hoping it is still under warranty and is covered.

Check warrenty first..... I stick weld, TIG weld and MIG weld but cast Iron is just screwy Preheating the cast properly before welding can be tricky.. Weld it as a last resort. I hate welding cast iron!!!!!!!

What GVA says about welding cast iron is what every welder I know says about it. Some won't touch the stuff. That was what I was referring to when I said better to replace it if ya hafta tear the stove down anyway. I figure a welder is going to want the piece out of the stove in order to have a shot at properly pre-heating it and more importantly controlling the cool down after the welding.

I will put my guess in the pool on the cost of the part and say $250 plus shipping cost. Probably in the ball park for what somebody would want to prep it and weld it. Spike or GVA would be the better estimator of the welding costs. And then if the welding didn't work you are out the cost of that plus still having to get a new part. And somebody has to take that sucker apart and put it back together again. Busting stove putty out of the seams and resealing it every step of the way.

Betting on the Jotul response I put my money on them to swear and be damned that you overfired it by starting it with the ashpan door open. We know you didn't but be ready for them to argue with you. The crack is just too conveniently close to the grate. Tell them you didn't and that if it was getting too much air through there then they sold you a stove with a leaking ash pan door gasket or seam in the bottom of the stove.

Not all cast are perfect Air bubbles or pockets can occcure. with the heat and cooling process the weakes part of a flawed cast can crack. It does happen to all manufactures. IT is possible you got a bad cast piece. I would be talking to your dealer. A agree with Brother B,to get that piece out may require complete dissesemby and rebuild. There is quite a bit of work involved

Jotul is supposed to have a five year warranty on manufacturing.

EDIT - Really scary for me as my Oslo is getting installed Tuesday. :(

senorFrog said:
Jotul is supposed to have a five year warranty on manufacturing.

EDIT - Really scary for me as my Oslo is getting installed Tuesday. :(

I wouldn't worry to much . like Elk said might be a bad castad part.

Update on the crack:

Sent an email with the picture to the store where we purchased the stove. I called them after work today and was told they were waiting for a call back from Jotul. I was told that Jotul is either going to rebuild my stove or give me a new one.

It will be our responsibility to pay delivery charges for the pick up, and again for the delivery back to our house. If the stove is defective, I don't think we should have to be responsible, since we originally paid to have the stove delivered.

Will keep you updated.

Thanks again for all the responses. ;o)

Backspace

Backspace said:
Update on the crack:

Sent an email with the picture to the store where we purchased the stove. I called them after work today and was told they were waiting for a call back from Jotul. I was told that Jotul is either going to rebuild my stove or give me a new one.

It will be our responsibility to pay delivery charges for the pick up, and again for the delivery back to our house. If the stove is defective, I don't think we should have to be responsible, since we originally paid to have the stove delivered.

Will keep you updated.

Backspace
Good deal , ( i guess ) I know parts and labor are covered for so long on a stove but never thought shipping or transporting the stove , that is kinda a bummer . What was your delivery charge when you first got the stove ? Are they telling you its going to be that X 2 ? ( both ways ) I assumed your stove wasnt under warranty because you were here asking about it. Glad it was. Keep us posted on the out come of the replace or repair and what thay nail you for on shipping cost. Did they say anything about a reinstall charge to hook it back up in your home ?

Backspace said:
Update on the crack:

Will keep you updated.

Backspace

warrenty typically covers parts, not labor.

MountainStoveGuy said:
Backspace said:
Update on the crack:

Will keep you updated.

Backspace

warrenty typically covers parts, not labor.
I thought that was part of a limited warranty ? Parts and lobor is covered for so long then its just parts after said date of warranty ...........

Hmmm, intresting.

Jøtul warrants, to the original retail purchaser, that this Stove, Insert or Fireplace will be free of defects in material and workmanship for a period of five years from the date of purchase. Jøtul will repair or replace, (parts and labor) at its option, any stove, insert, fireplace or part thereof found to be defective.

You must, at your own expense, arrange to deliver or ship the stove/insert/fireplace or part to an authorized Jøtul dealer and arrange for pickup or delivery of same after the repairs have been made. If, upon inspection, any damage is found to be the fault of the manufacturer, the repair or replacement will be made. This warranty does not include expenses incurred from travel time or loss of service. This warranty is not transferable and is extended only to, and is solely for the benefit of, the original retail purchaser of the stove/insert/fireplace. Please retain your dated sales receipt in your records as proof of purchase.

Here is Pacific Energys Warranty for example. Pacific Energy extends the following warranty coverage to the original registered purchaser of the wood product:

Lifetime Coverage
Limited lifetime coverage is extended to the following components (parts only) porcelain finish, glass, gold plating, firebox and secondary burn chamber (baffle).

5 Year Comprehensive
Pacific Energy will replace any part found to be defective (parts and labor) for five years from the date of purchase. This coverage includes electrical components (blowers, speed controls and thermal switches).
CONDITIONS
For wood products – All installations must be installed according to manual specifications and all applicable local and national codes. It is the responsibility of the installer to ensure that the product is operating correctly at the time of installation

MountainStoveGuy said:
Hmmm, intresting.

Jøtul warrants, to the original retail purchaser, that this Stove, Insert or Fireplace will be free of defects in material and workmanship for a period of five years from the date of purchase. Jøtul will repair or replace, (parts and labor) at its option, any stove, insert, fireplace or part thereof found to be defective.

You must, at your own expense, arrange to deliver or ship the stove/insert/fireplace or part to an authorized Jøtul dealer and arrange for pickup or delivery of same after the repairs have been made. If, upon inspection, any damage is found to be the fault of the manufacturer, the repair or replacement will be made. This warranty does not include expenses incurred from travel time or loss of service. This warranty is not transferable and is extended only to, and is solely for the benefit of, the original retail purchaser of the stove/insert/fireplace. Please retain your dated sales receipt in your records as proof of purchase.
For Jøtul warrants ....Yep , It says it right there about "You must, at your own expense, arrange to deliver or ship the stove" Can't argue with that.

Jotul has specific language built in to the transportation of the unit to and from the dealer. I dont know if you saw my last post on the other page, we posted at the same time.

Jøtul Limited Warranty

Dealer is swapping out our stove for a brand spankin new Oslo!! Very kewl! I thought we'd be without a stove for at least a month and our new furnace is not going to be installed until the 11th. They are swapping out on the 6th. I feel like we just won a prize!

I have to put in a plug for this dealer. Hope it's not against the rules.
Preston Trading Post in Preston, CT www.prestontradingpost.com
They are extremely knowledgeable and their customer service rocks.

Backspace

Backspace said:

Dealer is swapping out our stove for a brand spankin new Oslo!! Very kewl! I thought we'd be without a stove for at least a month and our new furnace is not going to be installed until the 11th. They are swapping out on the 6th. I feel like we just won a prize!

Backspace

Time to do the happy dance!

Backspace said:

Backspace

Awesome ! very good out come . Now dont break the next one ........ ;-) J/K

Backspace said:

Backspace

Nice to hear a good ending. I like Preston, CT. It was nearby my old neck of the woods. Tell Preston Trading that the hearth world is smiling at them.

Status
Not open for further replies.