need help with superior fireplace! b1038

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sanyak90

Dec 22, 2013
seattle, wa
So we just bought a house with a superior b1038 unit in it. We love the bricks surrounding it so dont want to replace it but it needs some work. There is a switch on the wall for a blower i believe but i cant find the rightblower for the unit. Says "fak 160" but i cant that anywhere. The fireplace has a gas line in the back right corner but we burn wood in it. Supposed to be that way? the sides ob the inside are metal plates. Supposed to be that way or is it supposed to be brick? Looks like the previous owner didnt know what he was doing or didnt care much. I want this fireppace to bw as effective and nice as possible but right now its not!!! Doors are too small and have cracks on the sides so those need to ne changed but there are no grates that cover the top or bottom of the fireplace above and below the doors. Where can i find these? Thanks.

Can you post a picture of the fireplace? Those model numbers don't mean too much to most people. This is a pre-fabricated fireplace. The doors are no intended to be airtight, you will have some airspace around the edges to allow airflow. The blower is completely useless, it makes lots of noise and moves nearly no air at all. This is just a decorative fireplace, don't expect to heat the house with it. It's just for enjoyment!

Can you post a picture of the fireplace? Those model numbers don't mean too much to most people. This is a pre-fabricated fireplace. The doors are no intended to be airtight, you will have some airspace around the edges to allow airflow. The blower is completely useless, it makes lots of noise and moves nearly no air at all. This is just a decorative fireplace, don't expect to heat the house with it. It's just for enjoyment!

Ive been told the new blowers do ok. Better than no blower and they move the air a bit. The current doors let in quite a bit of cold even when closed. They are also just screwed in with self tapping screws. I uploaded a pic of the gas line. Is this unit supposed to be a gas unit? I know nothing about fireplaces as you can see. Electric bill is too high so id likr to use rhis as much as possible to heat the house

Attachments

• 20131222_091235.jpg
    20131222_091235.jpg
    268.8 KB · Views: 1,512
  • 20131222_091247.jpg
    20131222_091247.jpg
    286.5 KB · Views: 1,056
The best way to get heat out of this is to replace it with a modern ZC fireplace, install an approved insert with liner, or install a freestanding woodstove in front of it connected to a liner.

The bricks are a veneer. This is a sheetmetal box inserted in a chase with a brick veneer front. Replacing will be costly. A new EPA unit will run $3.5-6K. And it will need a new flue. Figure close to $10K by the time the last workman is paid. An insert or freestanding stove might go in there with a liner for $3-5K depending on fit and choice.

PS, is there an external chase on this unit? If so, sometimes they can be replaced by opening up the back side and leaving the brick in place.

Lol i think ill stick with this for now and but doors that are made for the unit. any reccomendations on where to buy them? So a blower for it is not reccommended as it will barely work??

Even with tighter doors this unit is going to be less than 25% efficient. I wouldn't sink money into it.

Hmm. That sucks. Thanks for the heads up. I guess ill look around for a food new uaed unit for cheap and install myself :) we did 25000 worth of remodel ourself. Fieplace shouldnt be much harder witj the help of someone that knows all about them. Thanks :)

Used quality units are not that often found, especially EPA models. There's no point in replacing it with virtually the same thing. Put a new blower in it and be happy or save up for a good unit like a BIS Traditions and get some real heating and energy savings from the fireplace. It sounds like you may be able to DIY in which case there are several threads here showing the process.

So a blower WOULD makde a difference and would heat the house decently well? Or at least the 600 sq ft room its in?Where can i find a blower made for the unit? It says fak 160. Cant find that.

A blower will improve performance. It isn't going to make it comparable to a good, sealed EPA fireplace though. Can you provide some close up pictures of the existing blower? I would take it into a local electric motor shop and have them see if the motor is repairable or replaceable.

I would not spend a penny on a blower for that unit. I promise, you will be very disappointed!
Yes, this is a wood burning fireplace, with the option to use gas.
I'm 99% sure those are the doors that are made for that unit. There a few companies that make a ZC reface, it really makes it all look new.
http://www.stollfireplace.com/manufactured/zcReface

I defer to the gentleman with the Ashford though I have no idea why one would spend bucks to doll up this sow.

These are the current blowers in the unit. Theyre shot completely. 160-fak-1 is the model number but i cant find them anywhere. Anything i can replace them with?

Attachments

• 20131229_212524.jpg
    20131229_212524.jpg
    297.5 KB · Views: 947
I had one of these "sows." I replaced it with the insert in my signature line. Your unit is designed for looks, not heating. If you're looking for something to heat your home,
you are going to need an approved insert and liner or rip it out and replace with EPA fireplace. Mine was set up for gas and did a great job of heating the outdoors.

Status
Not open for further replies.