Need help with tree ID.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bigsby

Burning Hunk
Dec 7, 2014
Southern Wisconsin
image.jpg image.jpg A friend of mine is trying to id this tree in her yard that has these weird looking acorns or nuts. Never saw a tree like this before and I looked in my Audubon field guide but not finding a match so wondering if anyone can help her out. Located in northern Illinois. Thanks.

Looks like a hazelnut (genus Corylus). There's some species currently in vogue with the permaculture folks. Doesn't look like a native.

Maybe some kind of hazelnut variety. Do the nuts later look like this?
thumb_COLOURBOX2333623.jpg

Not sure if hers are edible but one of my favorite nuts. :)

I agree, it looks like a type of hazelnut, but not the native kind I have in my yard.

Ok thanks all for your help. Googled "hazelnut varieties" and came across this pic of a Turkish hazelnut. Closest match I've seen yet googling and thinking it's a possible match or close variety of it.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 122
We have have hazelnuts everywhere growing like weeds. Squirrels bury the nuts and then forget where they buried them. I constantly need to pull them out of garden beds and along the driveway.

Did a little more detective work and came across the Turkish Hazel (not Hazelnut) Corylus Colurna. Obviously not a native specie to the states, but is planted throughout America for its ornamental value and hardiness in urban settings. The nut clusters look identical to the one in her pic.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corylus_colurna

Now the only question is, how does this stuff split and burn?
:ZZZ

That really looks like your picture. I searched a bit to find out more. In Europe they consider it to be a very good wood for furniture. Rarely used now, though, because there are no large commercial plantings. It is also considered to be a good firewood. Dry density is 627 kg/kbm apparently similar to (European) cherry.

Reactions: Bigsby
She should contact local nurseries and see if anyone might want a live tree. A tree service company or landscaper.
You might get like what? 100th of a facecord from it??
Someone may pay her for it.

She should contact local nurseries and see if anyone might want a live tree. A tree service company or landscaper.
You might get like what? 100th of a facecord from it??
Someone may pay her for it.
Hey, .426 cubic feet of firewood is nothing to sneeze at. Nah, she nor I are wanting to cut it down, it's a beautiful tree. She just wanted to ID it so I thought I'd ask you folks in the wood shed since we were both hitting a dead end. The burner in me was just curious to it's potential as firewood if I should ever come across one in the future that needed to be cremated.

Last edited:
You see filbert for sale as firewood sometimes in Oregon, especially when an old orchard is being taken down. It's pretty dense wood. My guess is that it makes a decent firewood. Maybe not primo, but if the price is right...

Reactions: Bigsby
Status
Not open for further replies.