Need help with Vigilant Gaskets

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Horvik

Sep 15, 2014
Chicago
Hello;

I am going to replace the gaskets including the top griddle, glass and door gasket on my 1980 wood/coal VC Vigilant.

Do I use cement on all of the gaskets?

Thanks

When you take the old gaskets apart, you'll see which were held in by cement and which weren't. Typically, gasket cement is used on all gaskets. Although, some older Vermont Castings stoves had two panes of glass in each door, and between the panes was a thin gasket supported by an interior stiff metal wire, like a coat hanger. The gasket for the outer glass that actually touches the metal of the door usually uses a thin bead of cement.

Be sure to remove the old cement from the gasket channels with a wire brush and clean up the resulting dust with a rag before installation.

Status
Not open for further replies.