Need Info on Mama Bear

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

WV Cabin

Jan 11, 2018
Northern Virginia
27BD0744-8E9E-400B-8D57-49CE3D45BFDE.jpeg 50275720-846E-4029-93B4-0F05EB9EB058.jpeg E0990094-4253-4D0A-94D3-528C117B2621.jpeg 89849972-388C-42AC-86C7-FF37B4B2FF39.jpeg 6D30A76E-C0D7-47BF-8B21-C8E88554F600.jpeg Coaly,
I was wondering if you could help information and vintage on a Momma Bear I found and bought today to replace my Grandpa Bear in the cabin. I have attached pictures.

I can tell you it's spelled Mama ;lol at least the trademark name was Mama Bear.

Hesston manufacturing made boxes in bulk starting in 1977 to send to fabricators that were behind 60,000 stoves that were back ordered at the time. If it was sold in VA or W.VA it would have been sold by the Dunn Brothers. It certainly wasn't used hard so keep the hinge pins greased and the intake damper bolts lubricated with silver high temp anti-seize and it will outlast you.

I can tell you it's spelled Mama ;lol at least the trademark name was Mama Bear.

Hesston manufacturing made boxes in bulk starting in 1977 to send to fabricators that were behind 60,000 stoves that were back ordered at the time. If it was sold in VA or W.VA it would have been sold by the Dunn Brothers. It certainly wasn't used hard so keep the hinge pins greased and the intake damper bolts lubricated with silver high temp anti-seize and it will outlast you.

Thanks

My family has the same stove in our hunting cabin in WV. Ours in a heston manufactured mama bear also. Ours has a H stamped in the front of the ash fender. Heats our 800 square feet 150 year old uninsulated cabin with no problems.

My family has the same stove in our hunting cabin in WV. Ours in a heston manufactured mama bear also. Ours has a H stamped in the front of the ash fender. Heats our 800 square feet 150 year old uninsulated cabin with no problems.

Just checked mine, no H stamp but took the time to put some anti seize on the moving parts. Mine has 2 small holes on the top plate at the back lip, wondering if those where original for something or something someone did?

Hesston Mark.jpg

Attachments

• Hesston Mark.jpg
    Hesston Mark.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 188
Nope, but I'm going to practice drilling factory clean holes today ;lol.

Maybe someone added a piece of sheet metal over the outlet pipe (it gets really hot) to humidify with a pot or steamer. It leaves nasty rings and rust circles on the top when you do that. It looks like it was well cared for.

Nope, but I'm going to practice drilling factory clean holes today ;lol.

Maybe someone added a piece of sheet metal over the outlet pipe (it gets really hot) to humidify with a pot or steamer. It leaves nasty rings and rust circles on the top when you do that. It looks like it was well cared for.

Okay, wasn’t sure. It is hoping for many warm winters with it.