Need new AT100 cat probe wiring help

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

CTwith3

Jul 9, 2014
Westchester County, NY
4F2B42B4-BC1A-40D4-8DC5-417CDCDACF30.jpeg

I just installed my cat probe and AT100. I ordered spade connectors, but the thermocoupler/thermometer/probe/ came with a mini connector. It’s great that it just plugs into the AT100, but according to the instructions on the webpage there are supposed to be tube type terminals and changing of the connectors, and my AT00 didn’t come with the tube connectors. The temperature reading has to be wrong because I have a small fire going and the temperature is only 88 degrees.
Here’s what I bought:

1 x K type high temperature thermocouple for heat treatment (WRNK-191) = $18.62
Probe Length Option 6" (150 mm)
Connector Option spade connector
Probe Option 4.0 mm OD
1 x Universal Thermometer (AT100) = $41.50

Connector Accessory Three-pin connector with six ferrules

Help?

Last edited by a moderator:
I just installed my cat probe and AT100. I ordered spade connectors, but the thermocoupler/thermometer/probe/ came with a mini connector. It’s great that it just plugs into the AT100, but according to the instructions on the webpage there are supposed to be tube type terminals and changing of the connectors, and my AT00 didn’t come with the tube connectors. The temperature reading has to be wrong because I have a small fire going and the temperature is only 88 degrees.
Here’s what I bought:

1 x K type high temperature thermocouple for heat treatment (WRNK-191) = $18.62
Probe Length Option 6" (150 mm)
Connector Option spade connector
Probe Option 4.0 mm OD
1 x Universal Thermometer (AT100) = $41.50

Connector Accessory Three-pin connector with six ferrules

Help?

So, the K-type thermocouple they sent you plugs directly into the AT-100 unit? Only like that? or could you flip that connector?

See pages 3 and 6 (well, and the rest of it) of the manual here: http://auberins.com/images/Manual/AT1001.pdf

Did the temperature reading change as you change the temperature of the probe?

If it goes down when you get it hotter, its a sign you likely have it wired backwards.

To make things more confusing, there are different standards of color for thermocouple wiring. In the case of red-yellow, the red SHOULD be the negative. Per that manual linked above, that red (negative) should go on the left pin of the connector. (edited...had that backwards)

Next, did you set the thermocouple (sensor) type in the AT-100? It accepts a bunch of different sensors and needs to know what you have hooked up to it. Supposedly that unit defaults to K-Type, but I'd check that out, too.

Sorry...i don't own the AT100, just going by other thermocouples and controllers I've used.

The connector can’t be flipped. There is a screw on the flip side of the connector for each wire that may or may not allow the wires to be removed and then swapped.
The griddle top thermometer now reads 475 and the probe reads 541.

It would think that the red wire is negative, but then why did it come in the connector in that position?

The connector can’t be flipped. There is a screw on the flip side of the connector for each wire that may or may not allow the wires to be removed and then swapped.
The griddle top thermometer now reads 475 and the probe reads 541.

It would think that the red wire is negative, but then why did it come in the connector in that position?

Is it set on Celsius?
(541°C × 9/5) + 32 = 1005.8°F

I unscrewed the screws and swapped the wires in the connectors and it read EEEEE.
I just checked, and it is set for Fahrenheit not Celsius.

The tube connectors are on the wire ends plugged into the terminal.

Last edited:
I just threw a nice size split in and the griddle top says 450 and the thermometer now is 671 and very slowly climbing.

I just threw a nice size split in and the griddle top says 450 and the thermometer now is 671 and very slowly climbing.

Maybe it is correct then? Just reading lower than you'd expect for a cat probe. Is it the right length to really read the exhaust right out of the cat? Don't know that stove.

The other issue could be that the actual thermocouple junction can be up a bit from the tip of the stainless thermowell probe. Might cause it to read a bit low? Thats how I set mine up on purpose...they don't burn out as quickly.

To make things more confusing, there are different standards of color for thermocouple wiring. In the case of red-yellow, the red SHOULD be the negative. Per that manual linked above, that red (negative) should go on the left pin of the connector. (edited...had that backwards)
I'm not saying you are wrong, but that is just plain dumb. Red is almost universally +.

I'm not saying you are wrong, but that is just plain dumb. Red is almost universally +.

It gets me every time.

If it is any consolation, if it were a k-thermocouple with red & white pair OR a red & green pair, then the red would be positive _g
Seriously.

https://www.pyromation.com/Downloads/Data/ColorCodessheet.pdf

AND if you're ordering overseas parts (cheap thermocouples from china), I've found there's about a 25% chance they're marked backwards anyways. _g _g

Last edited:
Duh, yes red is +. I know that, except it didn’t transfer from my brain to my finger tips.
806 on the cat now, 550 on the stove. Going to start closing the air half way.

Duh, yes red is +. I know that, except it didn’t transfer from my brain to my finger tips.
From the AT100 manual as linked above:

Screenshot 2018-12-10 at 10.37.44 PM.png
And on yours by the color standards, the negative should be the red one, the yellow is the +. Red on the left of the connector and yellow on the middle pin.....wired as per your first photo?

So, you consider it working now as expected?

Last edited by a moderator:
Yup. The probe temp was low because it had no idea what was happening in the wood rest of the stove.
Listen, I have TBI, so sometimes I need help.
Thank you!

Yup. The probe temp was low because it had no idea what was happening in the wood rest of the stove.
Listen, I have TBI, so sometimes I need help.
Thank you!

Great to hear you have it working!
Hopefully this helps the next person trying to figure out wiring on one of these!

I love having digital temperature monitoring of the cat. I have another for the flue temperature too.

It has really helped me dial in how I run the stove.