Can someone help me guess the problem with my AT100?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

SonOfEru

Jan 11, 2018
Sanbornton NH
I have a Defiant Encore 0028. A few days ago my Auber AT100 started acting up. When it warms up after I close the bypass, at around 1000 it begins jumping around to various numbers, including negative numbers, and then after a few seconds of that it goes to EEEE and stays there until the temp goes down again to the lower numbers.

I hunted around and found a doc called Common Errors of Auber Controller, and amongst the many different Auber devices I found

For AT100/AT200:
EEEE: This is an input error message. The possible reasons are:
The sensor input type parameter is set incorrectly; the sensor is not connected correctly; the connector from the sensor is loose; the socket from the controller is loose; or the controller/sensor is defective.

I'm a little lost with that, but it really comes down to - is the AT100 gone bad or is it the sensor? The sensor is the WRNK-191, the 6 inch probe type that goes into the pre-existing hole in the back of the heat shield and then into the catalytic chamber [I drilled a hole through to get it to go in]. So I wonder if the probe has finally gotten tired of being hot all the time. I sure hope that's it, the sensor is a lot less $ than the AT100.

Thanks
SonOfEru

When that has happened to me in the past, it was the sensor...I don't have an Auber though, but shouldn't matter, they are all similar.

I had a wire break. Got kinked. And I was able to shorten it to fix it. Do you get the EEEE error when you unplug the probe? I can’t remember.

The sensor is just a k-type thermocouple, isn't it? I agree that it is probably just the thermocouple. There isn't much to go wrong with the Auber unit itself (no mechanical parts, nothing subjected to extreme temperatures), it is just reading a voltage from the thermocouple and the resistance of a thermistor.

Get a new thermocouple and your problems should be solved.