Problem with low heat output on a Breckwell Big E

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Rick

The stove really does appear to be well made.
Yeah, I do have a large area to heat and I'm not expecting 70 degree temps, I was kind of shooting for 30 degrees (average) above outside temperature. Daytime temps here usually average in the 20's and I would like to see my shop at least 50 degrees at these temperatures.
The flue plates really helped slow down the flue gas, it's still pretty hot but it's not blowing at as high a velocity as it was before. I would encourage anyone who has this model to contact Breckwell and ask for the plates. If mine is any indication, it would have to help their efficiency.

Roger

robmaya said:
yep i hear ya^
im looking for a reliable pellet stove and the more researchn i do the more problems i find with these stoves. i want to stay around 2500.

There are more stoves that didn't have problems than what you landing here and finding would indicate. This is a place to get answers and places like that tend to attract folks with problems needing answers.

It frequently isn't a major issue that causes the problems it is the lack of completely reading (and this means between the lines) and understanding the manual(s) and getting to know the air path through your stove. These devices must be kept reasonably clean.

If you are handy with a few simple tools and patient you will soon have an understanding of how your stove operates and be able to handle it well on your own.

If on the other hand you need someone else to do this you really need to find a good dealer and understand that unless you are getting a furnace, these are not considered primary heating devices and a dealer will put you in his schedule based on their prior commitments. This can mean it will be several days or longer before they can get to you.

Once you can answer the heat loss question then you need to gather a list of stoves that exceed that value divided by each stoves efficiency rate at their middle firing rate . This figure will put the stove into a position where it can handle a normal winter with some reserve and burn relatively clean.

Even then you need to understand that the relatively low blower rates means it takes time to get the heat distributed so it will not be a quickly responding system. It can take more than an hour to move a 960 sq ft structures air through a large number of stoves with the fan on high and assuming the air sent out doesn't come back until the rest of the air goes through (which of course doesn't happen).

Roger,
It took me a good month to learn the sweet spot on the Big E. I either had a defective ashpan or I warped the ashpan somehow. Once I got that diagnosed, I was able to get my heat up to 190-200 degrees on level 4. I am heating a three story house from the basement which is a science in itself. I will take some pictures of my install & check on the plates when I shutdown for cleaning tomorrow evening. I read your rant & I can only tell you it sounds pretty similar to mine. I have my rant in a word document just trying to finish it, I will get it posted soon.
Stay warm

Was the warp in your ash pan very noticable? I will look mine over a little closer tomorrow. I have noticed a little air in leakage around the door glass but it is not bad enough yet to go through the headache of getting it repaired IMO. I'm looking forward to reading about your experience (rant) with this stove.
Should be able to turn it down Thursday - looking at close to 60 degrees in our area.

Roger

Status
Not open for further replies.