Need opinions on mini split

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I haven't seen that with the units in our area. Maybe an installation or setup issue?

I think it's because the minimum is 7500 btus and i don't need that much when its milder out. I'm just wondering if it hurts the unit. Adding the second one I would be able to leave this one off till it's colder outside

The usual reasons that could cause short-cycling are very rapid heat loss, thermostat poorly located or with a mis-set swing range or defect.

I usually put it on wide vane do heat travels toward the hallway and the lowest setting to push the heat to the floor. I didn't purchase an external thermostat. I don't have it happening when it really cold out.

Maybe a remote thermostat in the hallway would help? Or can the swing setting (differential) for the internal thermostat be increased?

A wood stove, I feel, is not that great an idea as it increases the expenses. I had a similar problem and my air conditioning company nj recommended me to go for a good quality of thermostat. Thermostats do work well if you can get the right one.

Last edited:
What method of heating doesn't increase expenses?
Well I didn't mean that only wood stoves increase expenses. There are various kinds of expenses and investments associated with all heating techniques. Even thermostats are expensive but they are, in my opinion, a one-time investment and a better alternative to wood stoves. Its the digital world and a bit of gadget-friendliness won't do any harm.

I read somewhere that they short cycle and it's hard on the unit. Adding a second unit should bring the cop up in the winter I would think.

The new high efficiency units do not short cycle.. they have a variable speed compressor

I researched and found out the floor models need mounted 6 in off the floor. How could the piping be hid without opening the wall up?

I researched and found out the floor models need mounted 6 in off the floor. How could the piping be hid without opening the wall up?

If you're talking abount an air source heat pump.. the answer is the fluid and electric lines go through the wall behind the inside heat exchanger . The lines are then routed outside to the exterior heat exchanger (compressor)

The standard install is to drill a hole through the wall behind the unit and run a vinyl "gutter" down the outside of the house to the unit. The gutter has a baseplate you install on the exterior wall and the power, refrigerant lines and drain are then strapped to it with tywraps, then a top cover snaps over it. The refrigerant lines are insulated with black rubber that can deteriorate in the sun so it has to be covered. If you have a thick wall you can fish the lines through a chase in the wall but an installer will charge extra as its a lot more work. Incidentally make sure to seal off the cables and tubing as it enters the wall with foam as otherwise you have an open hole to the outside in the wall.

Just has a 12k unit installed, best investment i have made, house feels wonderful!

What i want to do is run it straight down through the floor then go through the basement to the outside like the other unit. I was wondering if I have to have it exactly six inches off the floor or can it sit on the floor. If i do mount it six inches the piping will be seen in the room and have to hide it. My wall mount unit has the pipes running in a closet but can't do that on this install do that's why I'm figuring on a fugitsu floor mount and do straight down into the floor .
I'm planning on doin must of the work except for vacuuming and electrical.

Glad you like it. Are you planning on using it for heating in the winter?

What i want to do is run it straight down through the floor then go through the basement to the outside like the other unit. I was wondering if I have to have it exactly six inches off the floor or can it sit on the floor. If i do mount it six inches the piping will be seen in the room and have to hide it. My wall mount unit has the pipes running in a closet but can't do that on this install do that's why I'm figuring on a fugitsu floor mount and do straight down into the floor .
I'm planning on doin must of the work except for vacuuming and electrical.

The Daikin can be floor mounted.

Than plan is to use it in conjunction with the pellet stove. It's installed part way up the stairwell between the two floors, hopefully it can help pull some of the heat from the stove downstairs, up. Not to get off topic, but we are in negotiations on having a 5kw solar system put in, which should provide us with "free" cooling an supplemental heating with the mini split

You will be happy with a solar/minisplit set up, I expect you will use your pellet stove less. I know I have cut back on my wood boiler use.

Great thread folks. Goes to show how little we all know about the nonstandard minisplit options.

In this thread people commented that the multi-head Mitsubishi HyperHeat (Mr. Slim?) units are less efficient than single head units.

I have two small (~11' x 10') bedrooms downstairs that do not get heated well from my woodstove.

The smallest indoor head unit I see in Mitsubishi Hyper Heat spec sheets is 6700 btu/h at 17F. My heat need in the bedroom would be 5000 btu/h or less.

Would it make sense to get a the small head unit in each room, both connected to a single outdoor unit?
Do they run well below maximum capacity? Most of the time my heat requirement would be 3000 btu/h or less, I think.
Do they have a decent dehumidification mode?
I do not need air conditioning, per se, but I could use summer dehumidification.
cheers, Doug

I'm not sure of your setup but you could have a few options. Putting a muti head unit might be too much for the area. The minimum load if I remember right was around 7500 btus. A single head unit will have a lot less btus on minimum load (1700btus). You could use a floor fan to help push the air in the other roomor mount it do it could blow directly through the door way.
Also look at Fujitsu units as they got a nice floor mount and works even in lower temps. A single head unit would push 3100 btus at minimum but its mounted on the floor and should need the extra btus. Other plus is no matter which size you get there all rated for the minimum 3100. Knowing this now I would've got a fugitsu for the living room since it wouldn't short cycle.

The hyper heat I have does a great job dehumidify the air but the drawback is the room gets to cold if it runs a few hours since the heat is exhausted outside.

Status
Not open for further replies.