Need smallest insert available for 1836 built home

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

MyOldKyHome

May 29, 2019
KY
I have an insert but it extends out from the face of the fireplace but it was all we could find years ago. I am looking to replace it with a true insert however the opening is now hidden but I remember it was ridiculously small. Any idea where I would find the smallest one available. I am thinking it was about 15" but could be off on that a bit. Thank you

Last edited by a moderator:
We'd just be guessing without dimensions. Can you post a picture of the existing insert and fireplace?

thumbnail.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Is this a gas insert?
What do you mean by replacing it with a "true insert"?

Is this a gas insert?
What do you mean by replacing it with a "true insert"?
Yes it is a gas insert but it overlaps the fireplace and "sticks out" if you will, instead of it being flush with the face or even with the tile around it. I'm sorry if I am not explaining myself very well.

Yes it is a gas insert but it overlaps the fireplace and "sticks out" if you will, instead of it being flush with the face or even with the tile around it. I'm sorry if I am not explaining myself very well.
I'm going for a flat front like this one in our den.

This is an insert I have in my den and its more the look I am going for on a really small scale. I think the opening is probably maybe 16H x 20W if that.

Attachments

• thumbnail1.jpg
    thumbnail1.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 235
I'm going for a flat front like this one in our den.

This is an insert I have in my den and its more the look I am going for on a really small scale. I think the opening is probably maybe 16H x 20W if that.
That one in the den doesn't look like an insert at all it looks like a prefab fireplace. An insert should never be tiled in. Is the one you want to replace in a full masonry fireplace?

Last edited:
Thank you very much for your response. That is an excellent starting point and that picture looks exactly what we want. We will know more once we demo the old one.