Need some advice about this setup

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Recondite

Dec 15, 2017
Maryland
Hello,
I'm new to wood burning stove/fireplace but have read a lot about it. I could use some advice about this fireplace in my rental home. From what I've read, this install doesnt look right. My concern arose after my 3rd fire, I noticed the drywall and the hardwood floors got VERY hot. I of course cleaned the stack and everything before ever lighting it but would like it if someone could tell me what is missing in this setup. Its just a stack to the ceiling and the flue, nothing else. The tiles under it aren't even glued down or anything, the hardwood floor was cut out in a shotty fashion and the heavy tiles just placed in the opening. It doesnt seem safe at all. I'm guessing I should have a protector of sorts on the walls and something bigger or wider on the floor. My house is ALL wood so yeah, I'm pretty concerned lol.
Any advice would be most appreciated!
Thanks!

Attachments

• 1215172120_HDR.jpg
    1215172120_HDR.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 267
Last edited by a moderator:
It could possibly use some more floor protection, but it looks far enough from the walls. It should be 36” from the wall, unless there is a tag or identification on it somewhere that says differently.

If it's a uncertified appliance is there a requirement for more than ember protection underneath?

If uncertified, yes there are NFPA 211 guidelines. The hearth does appear to be inadequate, but how much so is unknown. For sure loose tiles are not enough for even basic ember protection. Not sure who made this stove. At first I thought Meridian, but this looks different.

Reactions: Squisher
I've never seen such a thing. The wonders of the internet.

I think it's cool as all heck.

Reactions: Ashful
I guess I'm just not used to the hot hardwood floors and hot drywall, I read the heat is normal but with the entire house being all wood, it's a little scary lol.
So webby3650, are you saying if the 36" clearance is correct then the hot walls shouldnt be a problem?
I think I would feel more comfortable putting something on the walls and correcting the tiles.
Thanks so much!

Hot walls and floors is subjective. Can you hold your hand on the wall when it's hot? If so, for how long?

Yes, probably for 2-3 seconds. This is the first time I've noticed it get that hot probably because this is the longest I've had it burning, about 8 hours. Is there a limit to how long you should keep a fire going in one of these? So as not to overheat it?
The heaters in the home are baseboards and they dont put out enough heat to warm the house when it's 20-30 degrees outside so I was hoping to use the fireplace for most of the heat, try to save some money.

If you turn your kitchen faucet on hot only, how long can you hold your hand in the hot water? Typically, not long. Have you ever been concerned your water lines would catch the house on fire?
Get an IR thermometer and take some temps .

Do get an IR thermometer and take some temp readings. In Canada uncertified stove clearance is 48"s. But everyone knows homes are more combustible north of the border. It used to be 36"s but was changed to 48"s.

Report back with some temp readings

In Canada it would need a floor pad extending 18"s in front and 8"s on all other sides and be continuous and non combustible. And if the floor it's on is combustible for radiant heat protection it would need two courses of hollow 3.5" brick.

2-3 seconds means it's probably under 130F. That's within the safe range for drywall walls.

That sounds good for the walls but what about the floor? I've never seen something like this before? If it's truly uncertified I'd be concerned how it sits directly on the floor if it's combustible underneath? But is it not a concern with these?

Yes, as noted above, the hearth is inadequate. How inadequate is unknown without documentation. Personally I'd err on the side of caution and have at least a type 2 pad under the fireplace and it should extend 16-18" in front of the fireplace door.

In my area uncertified appliances are increasingly rare. It's not allowed to install one in a new installation by the AHJ(authority having jurisdiction) and beyond that even pre-existing ones that meet all requirements are still unlikely to be insured.

We have poor air quality conditions often so it's a good thing IMO to discourage uncertified appliance use.

In many areas the worst offenders are still fireplaces and open burning. That is the first stage of burn ban locally.

In my district open burning is limited to only two weeks in the spring and two weeks in the fall. Permit required and if you get a permit in the spring you aren't eligible for the fall, once a year only. In particular where I live within my district is under air quality advisory it seems more often than not now. And I still all the time see people burning outdoors. Woodburning is getting blamed often as the reason for high particulates but I wonder how much of that is coming from just a few bad apples that are burning who knows what in their stove or just in random brush/garbage fires in their backyard?

I'm not one to tattle on people or get in someone's face. But I've got a few homes in my neighbourhood where it's almost going to come to a door knock because I don't want my burning rights affected some day by other people being grossly negligent in their practices. I'm talking a few places that have outdoor burn pits smouldering for weeks at a time! Burn it and put it out for crying out loud.

Sorry for the venting. :confused:

Open fireplaces. Myself? I can't say enough bad things about them. Lol. I mean that in the nicest way possible!

2-3 seconds means it's probably under 130F. That's within the safe range for drywall walls.
The drywall wall behind my stove measured 158F the other day—what’s the safe max?

The drywall wall behind my stove measured 158F the other day—what’s the safe max?
Looks like UL listings say 125F for max continuous exposure for standard type C.

It’s non combustible of course but still... Hmm

I believe it's 90ºF over ambient, or 165º in a 75º room. 158º is getting close That thing is quite radiant. If you turn off the lights when it's this hot is any part glowing red? If 158º on the wall happens regularly then a proper wall shield would dramatically improve the situation.

PS: How is the wall temp being read? IR thermometer?

I believe it's 90ºF over ambient, or 165º in a 75º room. 158º is getting close That thing is quite radiant. If you turn off the lights when it's this hot is any part glowing red? If 158º on the wall happens regularly then a proper wall shield would dramatically improve the situation.

PS: How is the wall temp being read? IR thermometer?
Yes, used an IR thermometer. Held about 10" from the wall. Not sure if that's an accurate way what with all the hot air in the vicinity. I could hold my hand on the wall. Was also thinking a shield might be prudent, peace of mind!

I did not see any red-hot spots but didn't turn out the lights. It was after leaving the stove (Sirocco 20.1) on high setting for about one hour to char the load and heat up the place. I do notice it self-throttling the air back after 15 mins or so typically, so I'm pretty sure the thermostat behaves normally. I'll be adding a full load again this evening and will see what happens...

Hello,
I'm new to wood burning stove/fireplace but have read a lot about it. I could use some advice about this fireplace in my rental home. From what I've read, this install doesnt look right. My concern arose after my 3rd fire, I noticed the drywall and the hardwood floors got VERY hot. I of course cleaned the stack and everything before ever lighting it but would like it if someone could tell me what is missing in this setup. Its just a stack to the ceiling and the flue, nothing else. The tiles under it aren't even glued down or anything, the hardwood floor was cut out in a shotty fashion and the heavy tiles just placed in the opening. It doesnt seem safe at all. I'm guessing I should have a protector of sorts on the walls and something bigger or wider on the floor. My house is ALL wood so yeah, I'm pretty concerned lol.
Any advice would be most appreciated!
Thanks!
That's a sweet stove. And, if you ever decide it's not for you, you can just make a giant batch of guacamole out of it.

Yes, used an IR thermometer. Held about 10" from the wall. Not sure if that's an accurate way what with all the hot air in the vicinity. I could hold my hand on the wall. Was also thinking a shield might be prudent, peace of mind!

I did not see any red-hot spots but didn't turn out the lights. It was after leaving the stove (Sirocco 20.1) on high setting for about one hour to char the load and heat up the place. I do notice it self-throttling the air back after 15 mins or so typically, so I'm pretty sure the thermostat behaves normally. I'll be adding a full load again this evening and will see what happens...
Dude, sorry, it gets confusing when a thread is hijacked. I should have checked, but this thread is about recondite's situation.
You would not be able to hold your hand on a wall for more than a few seconds if it was 130F, but no harm in adding a wall shield. Peace of mind is a good thing.

Reactions: Nigel459