Need some advice on a small log burner

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Dalzona

Dec 5, 2022
Alexandria, VA
So glad I found this forum!

So, we want to get a wood burner for our small fireplace - it would be placed inside the fireplace. The height of our fireplace is 28 inches so the stove must be small. I’m looking the True North TN 10, height is 25 inches. It’s small but its use would be on the weekend and cold evenings. We live in VA so our winters are only months long. Any other recommendations for a small log burner before I pull the trigger? EPA certified is also important to me.

We just had our fireplaces cleaned & our chimney rebricked so I’m ready now for the stove. I looked @ the small Jotul but there’s a 4 month wait.

Any stove suggestions are welcome!

One other question; I know my husband is handy but is it a good idea to have him install? Is it easy to install? I think I would prefer to have a chimney person but he thinks he can install it.

So glad I found this forum!

So, we want to get a wood burner for our small fireplace - it would be placed inside the fireplace. The height of our fireplace is 28 inches so the stove must be small. I’m looking the True North TN 10, height is 25 inches. It’s small but its use would be on the weekend and cold evenings. We live in VA so our winters are only months long. Any other recommendations for a small log burner before I pull the trigger? EPA certified is also important to me.

We just had our fireplaces cleaned & our chimney rebricked so I’m ready now for the stove. I looked @ the small Jotul but there’s a 4 month wait.

Any stove suggestions are welcome!

One other question; I know my husband is handy but is it a good idea to have him install? Is it easy to install? I think I would prefer to have a chimney person but he thinks he can install it.
If you are planning on putting it in the actual fireplace I would strongly recommend an insert that is designed to help get the heat from the stove out of the fireplace

The chimney and fireplace smoke shelf needs a thorough cleaning first. Then a 6" liner needs to be installed. Can hubby do that safely?
The TN10 or a Jotul F602 might work. For inserts there is the Drolet Escape 1500i, or the Century CW2100. Stepping up a bit, there are the Lopi Answer and Ironstrike Striker 160 inserts.

Reactions: Dalzona
I have a little Lopi Answer. Love it. Great for my needs.

Brought it home myself and put it near the fireplace. My chimney guy dropped down a liner and attached it. I bought 15- and 30-degree offsets for him to pick from.

Reactions: Dalzona