Need some help/advice

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think right now at least our budget is good for the osburn or buck stove and insert, but wasn't sure if we should try to make the hearthstone work, which would be a stretch to say the least. If I didn't need the chimney liner too I would seriously look at doing a self install on the stove, but would sleep better at night having the chimney work done by a professional who has done it before. I am pretty handy, but not a big fan of messing with fire or electricity :)

Either will get the job done. The Osburn will provide a bit longer burn time between reloads and more wiggle room with it's square firebox, but if the Buck saves you some hassle or bucks then that makes sense.

Is the chimney exterior and exposed on the backside of the fireplace? If yes, you'll want to have a damper area sealing block-off plate installed along with an insulated liner. This is infrastructure and probably won't be in a low-ball estimate, but should be done for best performance and safety.

Either will get the job done. The Osburn will provide a bit longer burn time between reloads and more wiggle room with it's square firebox, but if the Buck saves you some hassle or bucks then that makes sense.

Is the chimney exterior and exposed on the backside of the fireplace? If yes, you'll want to have a damper area sealing block-off plate installed along with an insulated liner. This is infrastructure and probably won't be in a low-ball estimate, but should be done for best performance and safety.

The majority of the chimney runs along the exterior wall and inside the attached garage. There is only about 3' of the chimney outside.

Status
Not open for further replies.