Need some help with clearances. Newb stressed

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Robs300zx1990

Oct 11, 2023
New York
Just wanted to start off by saying this is an amazing forum. I'm looking to install a wood burning stove for my 1/2 Dormered house on Long Island New York.

I was purchasing a Drolet Deco Alto

I have a spot in my living in the corner of two couches that will just fit a corner 48/50" hearth pad. But then I got to thinking is it going to be safe between the couches but don't see much info unless I'm missing it on the install instructions.

I was going to go through the wall and bought all the piping to do this.

Now I'm not sure if I would be to close to my couches.

I have another spot that's not as ideal and don't feel comfortable installing the because I would probably have to go through the roof and don't know if chimney will be tall enough.

I ordered the stove but to them to hold on before shipping due to not noticing this possible issue. My house isn't that big so not many options on placement.

I attached pictures the corner with the kids kitchen is where I wanted to install it.

The other picture is the corner in my dining room that would probably have to go through ceiling.

Any help would be greatly appreciated I'm stressed now because was really looking forward to this. 20231011_041910.jpg20231011_042342.jpg20231011_041917.jpgScreenshot_20231011_052324_Adobe Acrobat.jpg

The stove will be most radiant from the stove door. There should be at least 3-4' clear in front of the stove. Also, shlepping in wood between the small gap between the couches looks like it will get old. How much room will there be from the front of the stove and the dining room table if it is placed in the other location?

What about locating the stove to the right of the loveseat?

The distance might be around 2 feet from table could possibly shift that over though. Also don't know if there chimney would be tall enough and obviously cutting up through roof which I would have to buy the kit for.

To the right of couch could work would have to move small couch though. Also on that side of the house there's a small overhang I would have to kick it pipe around too. I guess tv would be safe where it is there since heats in the front?

Thanks for the help!16970489569394067927863794165995.jpg

The distance might be around 2 feet from table could possibly shift that over though.
It doesn't sound like the dining room will work. That is much too close.

With space this close, plan carefully. Straight up through the roof is always preferable for best performance and often it's less expensive. It looks like there is a floor above so the transit through the upstairs room needs to be planned for.
If the stove is vented out the side wall, then it might be possible to either use long legged support brackets or to add blocks to the support bracket to bump it out to clear the gutter.

Just process thinking here, but what if the living room furniture layout was flipped so that the long couch was on the opposite wall with the love seat skooched over close to it. Then the corner with the play kitchen might work.

The dining room corner doesn't have the second floor above it. The half Dormer is above living room which is why I'm trying to come out the wall over there.

The TV is across from the long couch. Then I would just have to flip the TV to the other side but there's a window on that side behind the big couch.

I guess the only real option would have to be moving the dining table over to accommodate distance or put up in corner next to tv and move small couch away from it. Hears a picture of that wall.16970502926489078054567730187425.jpg

It's so difficult and I really want to get this in my house to try out as a heat source this winter to save on oil.

Heat and electronics are not the best friends. That is pretty close. It would help if the TV could be moved to the right a couple of feet. Or sell the love seat and replace with a chair? Then the original plan could work.

Last edited:
Also that one back side of living room has a small soffit. I'm using duratech double wall chimney pipe. Should I be using the 30° kit to go around that. I am reading mixed views on that.