Need some opinions continued. ( Blaze King)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Duke01

Feb 4, 2020
Ontario
This is a continuation of my last post about my Blaze King stove giving me chimney fires .( micro ones at least) I took apart my connectors from the stove up to the main chimney and I noticed a lot of pushed in metal where the installer or my chimney sweep guy were pushing in screws but the were not lined up. These are on the male sections facing down towards the stove. Furthermore I took some incense around the pipe and it is sucking in air majorly at the connection to the main chimney and right at the very base connection to the stove. Could this be my issue? The pipes look clean with little buildup at all. Could it be pulling my fire up since it only happens when running high after a reload? Thanks for the help.

Attachments

• IMG_20200215_154241379.jpg
    IMG_20200215_154241379.jpg
    102.5 KB · Views: 126
  • IMG_20200215_154149679.jpg
    IMG_20200215_154149679.jpg
    117 KB · Views: 127
One is supposed to predrill a pilot hole through both layers to avoid this from happening. You don't want air being pulled into the flue system at connections.

You have to elaborate on the “chimney fire” part. The pipe looks clean to me at least. And I believe (not an expert here) if there was a chimney fire in the pipe it would looks slightly different colour.

Well Duke, I can tell you there's nothing burning in your pipes. I've seen more creosote buildup in a Yankee candle.

Beyond that I'm no help, but begreen makes a lot of sense.

There never seems to be buildup but I know what I saw with the pipe temps and little pieces of paper like creosote on the snow outside it was some kind of short lived fire in the lower pipe. The pipe is just sitting on the stove connection and doesn't even a screw in it. Just the weight of the pipe is keeping it there. The incense smoke looked like a genie going back into his bottle it was so strong around that.

I have an ashford, and a long- like 28' liner on it. I have learned that I need to run my sooteater about 3x a year, compared to 1x every 2 years when I had a non cat hearthstone. I get only a little, but it's all in the same spot. Same quality and dryness of wood. I get buildup at the very top and in my cap, not so much anywhere else. I think my cap actually lit off once, likely when cold starting in bypass mode. My chimney sucks like a jet engine when it's cold and there is any breeze. Of course it gets worse the colder it gets. A turn damper is used to control my draft. I could absolutely see something getting physically sucked up my stove if it's not damped properly. My cat clogs almost immediately with ash if the draft is not controlled, I can Only imagine when the bypass is open and it's a straight shot up.

This is a continuation of my last post about my Blaze King stove giving me chimney fires .( micro ones at least) I took apart my connectors from the stove up to the main chimney and I noticed a lot of pushed in metal where the installer or my chimney sweep guy were pushing in screws but the were not lined up. These are on the male sections facing down towards the stove. Furthermore I took some incense around the pipe and it is sucking in air majorly at the connection to the main chimney and right at the very base connection to the stove. Could this be my issue?
Exhaust coming from the box is mostly depleted of oxygen, I'd think. Introducing fresh oxygen, combined with a high burn, might be enough to ignite a fire up there. I'd bend the pipe back out for a better seal, then re-drill like begreen said, to seal it better.
Beware of "professionals," those clowns could burn your house down! ;lol

On one hand, your pipe looks fine aside from being all dented up at the fasteners.

On the other hand, if the stove is burning and it is strongly sucking in incense smoke at that joint, that is an issue. That dilution air cools the flue and that causes creosote buildup (which we can't see in the pictures, but it happens most at the other end because the top end is cooler).