Need support box collar

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

charzard431

Oct 13, 2022
USA
I have a support box that sits below the ceiling so need a collar to meet the ceiling (drywall) but am having a hard time finding just a square collar to attach to the support box or ceiling. Is it unusual to need to buy a collar by itself? Is there a more diy option to cover the area where the drywall and pipe meet?
PXL_20230625_195545016.jpg

Unless I'm missing something here, the drywall can touch the box, no need for any collar

Unless I'm missing something here, the drywall can touch the box, no need for any collar
Looks hideous though. I assume he's asking about a piece to cover the junction between the metal and plasterboard.

Looks hideous though. I assume he's asking about a piece to cover the junction between the metal and plasterboard.
That's what I'm saying though...no need, just fix the missing/mangled drywall, finish it, paint, done.
A lot easier than searching for non existent parts...

There are special trim pieces for the edge of the drywall that allow you to finish the area with compound and then peel away a section of the trim for a very clean line.

That's what I'm saying though...no need, just fix the missing/mangled drywall, finish it, paint, done.
A lot easier than searching for non existent parts...
Sure thing - but you could use anything as a trim (even sounds like you can use combustible material) and making trim look perfect is a lot easier than making drywall look perfect.

Reactions: kborndale
My ceiling support has a trim like what you need, mine is a Supervent if I remember correctly.