Need to improve my heating situation.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

MMAlabama

Nov 13, 2018
Thomasville, AL
I have an existing masonry fireplace with no insert. Have been doing research over last couple of years on inserts. Has to be an insert by the way, wife hates the look of a stove. Anyway my heat pump wasnt able to keep up last winter for a couple of weeks when temps were down in upper teens last winter here in Alabama. I know that two weeks is a short time, but when it gets that cold the heat pump cant keep up and pipes freeze etc. big headache no doubt and id like an insert to keep the heat pump from running as much in the regular winter temps anyway. Soo there werent many dealers to choose from in this region, but i found a couple that sold Quadrafire and Lopi/FireplaceX. Quotes for sale and install were around 4700$. My concern is these new inserts dont handle wood that isnt completely dried out that well, which sometimes I have but sometimes I dont, depends on the year and how many trees fall over from storms etc. So my question is, should I go ahead and get one of these new units and do my best to always use seasoned wood, or find a older used unit for sale that doesnt have all the EPA requirements but would have to install myself(PITA). Last option im considering is if I was going to pay 4700$, i may as well pay a little more and get an outdoor boiler unit to tie into existing heatpump forced air unit, and could also heat my shop. What do you think?

No matter what you're burning in, dry wood will always burn better than wet wood. Only you can answer the question is it worth it. Especially if you're only interested in supplemental heat for a few weeks per year. You're probably better off with a couple extra electric space heaters.