Needed - pressurized storage tank for Econoburn system.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Huskurdu

Hearth Supporter
Jun 10, 2008
Southwestern NY
It would seem that I'm not supposed to be able to live without one. I'm looking in the 800-1000 gallon range. The only thing I can think of is propane tanks. I've called some local propane gas company's with no success. Scrapyards require they be cut up before they take them....I'm stuck, any ideas?

There's a system using multiple cylinders (~220 gallons per cylinder) which will be on the market soon, if you're looking for something pre-fab from a supplier. Stay tuned for more details on that, in the not-too-distant future.

One nice think about the small tanks is that you can put in one tank and the piping/controls immediately, then add more tanks as funds become available.

If you are looking to build your own, propane tanks are commonly used. Oil tanks can also be used, but you need to be careful about your water pressure and keeping the pH within range. Also, having a leak-free system is an absolute requirement, because a system that keeps bringing in fresh water will destroy the oil tank's thinner walls.

Joe

Will this be your first season with the Econoburn boiler ?
Do you have baseboard heating or cast iron radiators ?
You may not need the complexities of storage for the first season if you use your heating system to keep up with the out put of your boiler .
Anthony

Anthony D said:
You may not need the complexities of storage for the first season if you use your heating system to keep up with the out put of your boiler .
Anthony

I have baseboard heating in the house and am putting a cast iron radiator in the garage for heat.
This is my first season.....still haven't got it going yet.
The wood boiler is going to put out more heat than my house could take (even if I had put in the correct size pex to the house)...I'm only pushing a max of 72kbtu to the house the balance of approximately 130kbtu is getting 'dumped' into the garage.
I figure it will be easier to design around heat storage now. I've been told, a few times, that since I screwed up on the size of the pex, it would help my boiler run more efficiently with storage in the system.

storage will help you- check in with Joe B, above,- who is more likely than many others to have some useful options up his sleeve

how did you come up with 800- 1000 gallon figure?

I think folks tend to oversize storage. It really has dual purposes. First to take any excess heat from the boiler when it is fired beyond the load. With a closely sized system and a good brand of boiler this should be fairly controlable.

The second use of a storage would be to be able to heat without firing the boiler for a period of time. That is easily calculated if you know the heat loads and tank capacity and the desired amount of time between burns.

Remember keeping a tank at 180f takes a lot of insulation on the tank and piping, some will get away from you before it can be used. how much depends on r-value, room temperature, etc.

The very best place to store btus is in the unburned firewood, once it is combusted losses start occuring. Personally I feel 250- 500 gallons works for most applications. Run some numbers based on those capacities to see if it fills your needs or wants.

I started with 300 gallons but upped to 500 to get a good 8 hour storage at design conditions. to get through the night or a day away at work without adding wood was my goal.

I like the idea of modular tanks systems as Joe mentioned, especially if they fit through doorways.

hr

in hot water said:
I like the idea of modular tanks systems as Joe mentioned, especially if they fit through doorways.

These are 30" diameter by about six and a half feet tall. They come without the insulation, to make moving them easier, then you apply the insulation kit after they are in place.

Joe

Joe,
Are these the tanks that Tarm will market?

Huskurdu said:
Anthony D said:
Anthony

I have baseboard heating in the house and am putting a cast iron radiator in the garage for heat.
This is my first season.....still haven't got it going yet.
The wood boiler is going to put out more heat than my house could take (even if I had put in the correct size pex to the house)...I'm only pushing a max of 72kbtu to the house the balance of approximately 130kbtu is getting 'dumped' into the garage.
I figure it will be easier to design around heat storage now. I've been told, a few times, that since I screwed up on the size of the pex, it would help my boiler run more efficiently with storage in the system.

If you had a old house with huge radiators , the system would work perfectly without storage , just thought I ask .
Anthony

As oil tanks, or a modular tank system, were mentioned, be sure whatever you get is rated for pressure. All of the oil tanks I have seen are not pressure rated.

You likely have more than one LP company around. I tried at least 4 before I found one that would sell me a tank.

If you're locating your tank(s) in a space that will be heated anyway, insulation remains just as important, but any heat loss simply provides needed heat anyway, so effective storage efficiency rise to 100 percent.

I just got really lucky. A guy that works with me has a 500 gallon propane tank he is selling me cheap. My heat storage is coming together!!!! Maybe I'll have this thing hooked up by spring!!!! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.