Needed: Woodstove/Chimney guy Near Buckhannon, WV

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

ikeepgrnbarsfull

May 14, 2020
Frederick, MD
Hi all,

Long story short I've got a 120+ year old river rock/mortar chimney that is falling apart. One of the co-owners wants to just point it up and call it a day (I can't see a world where that's even remotely safe) but I want to see about having a liner and stove or insert installed. Problem is...I haven't found anyone willing to come out and actually look at it and give a quote. My uncle said there are plenty of dealers but no installers around there and I'm hoping someone here might have some insight. I'll try to find the drawings etc to give you an idea of what I'm working with :)

I would also be more than happy to have someone with just a lot of experience near the area meet us out there and unload some knowledge. Beer, steak, money would gladly be provided!

If it's really unsafe, maybe get everyone together there for a week with some scaffolding, take it down from the top, and rebuild it with the original stones.

Mortar is cheap and the rocks are already there, but that kind of labor could go into the tens of thoussnds.