Neighbor is getting his land logged?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shipper50

Minister of Fire
Nov 10, 2007
Indiana
My next door neighbor is getting his land logged as I type this. He told me far in advance so I would know what the noise and road problems would be. When he told me, I said how much would he charge me for the tops. He said we would work something out. I made the statement, cord for him, cord for me, but I have to cut it and split it and haul mine to my shed.

You think I made a mistake with the cord for cord? He doesn't burn wood yet, but plans to get a outdoor furnace. I burn my wood with a indoor and have to make my wood smaller.

Let me know what you think.

Shipper

yes made a mistake. Unless you just look at it as charity for a neighbor which is a good thing. But other than doing a good deed for the owner, the wood is worthless $$$ wise and you doing him a favor by removing it.

I guess it depends on your situation and other specifics, but I would not cut a cord to get a cord-not down here. All the tops (and even the small trees) that are left after logging down here are usually bulldozed into a windrow and burned for the later planting of pine trees. It's a shame really, but that is what they do. There is too much free wood for me to have to make that deal. But, as I said, your situation may be different.

If you don't mind cutting fire wood then no.. He's also next door so very little travel and lot's of time to do so.

I can also see by the saw's you have you can cut it up pretty fast.

My father got 60 acres logged over 5 years ago and there is still so much downed top's that my brother and myself will never get it all cut before it rots. And now with the big Ice storm we had down here we now have a lot more downed tops.

So.. if you enjoy cutting wood like I do.. then yes.. not a bad deal for free wood.

I don't think it's a bad deal. It's not like you have to travel far to get to the wood.

I don't think I'd leave the wood in 16 foot lengths either. I don't know if I'd neatly stack a pile of split wood, but leaving it cut to length or split and left in a pile wouldn't be too hard to do.

He may know others who will be having their land logged.

Matt

If you do him this favor, he might remember later and let you have more wood when it blows down or otherwise has to be removed. Plus, he is your neighbor. Good relations with neighbors are valuable in many ways, most of which we don't discover until we need them.

Peace,
- Sequoia

TreePapa said:
If you do him this favor, he might remember later and let you have more wood when it blows down or otherwise has to be removed. Plus, he is your neighbor. Good relations with neighbors are valuable in many ways, most of which we don't discover until we need them.

Peace,
- Sequoia
My neighbor is young enough to be my son and he has let me get some wood from blow downs in the past. I just finished burning a hickory that was double trunked and laying on its side from him. He has done some things for me in the past as cut my lawn with his big mower when I had my knee replacement.

So yes he has done things for me as I have for him. As they say, what goes around, comes around. ;-P

Shipper

I bought a "tops" contract from a guy and paid $5 a top but that included damaged and dead/down at no extra. All tolled it netted about 135 tops for the price of 110. A couple of the trees contracted by the logger were left because they were hollow. The $5 I paid was high at the time as tops were going for $2 but I got a three year time limit to move the wood so it was worth it in that regard as I already had a job. I also did what you are talking about except I just left the wood in rounds and piled the brush (a labor in itself) for the guy to pick up and it was his idea not mine. It boils down to how much time are you going to spend and the yield. To be honest I think your zeal overextended a good thing where you both would have been happy but now you either come through on the deal or let him wrangle it out for himself. I ran across another deal where a guy had tops for sale by the p/u truckload. I offered him a going "tops" price (then at $5) and you would have thought I just shot his best dog. He told me he would let it rot before he sold it at that price. He sold about 8 trucks and the rest of it rotted (about 60 tops). If you don't want to or can't do the work deal think about a cash deal. If he never puts in a wood burning appliance he may sell the finished wood to you at a later date, but I would have to be desperate to cut and split some one else's wood pile or they would have to pay me as I figure on a good day a 4x4x8 cord is 8 hours now you are going to work 16 and pay saw and tools expenses for one.

I think it comes down to how badly you need the wood and how much extra time you have.
I think that if you were to leave his wood in the round, it wouldn't be such a bad deal. Splitting is the most time consuming part of the process for me.

I have two neighbors that recently had their land partially logged. One is next door and the other is a half mile down the road. The next door neighbor's house is for sale and they've moved south to retire, so I have no way to get hold of them. There are some huge tops from Oak, Cherry and Walnut up there. I'd hate to see it all go to waste.
The other guy down the road seems to think he can sell the tops. A friend of mine has known the guy all of his life and when the guy figures out that he can't sell the wood, I'll just have my buddy work on him and hopefully persuade him to let me have it.

My father's neighbor is having his land logged and gave my father all of the tops for free. On a similiar topic, I get my wood off of my sister's land (16 miles away) and I give her half (somehow I end up with a little more.....if I bring out 7 loads in a day the extra load goes to me). It seems better than buying wood and I have plenty of free time. My brother in law said something about me splitting their share and I ignored him.

I think I am a bit jealous as we have never had real good neighbors. Based on your relationship, here is what I would do.

1.) Salivate - free wood :)
2.) Not sure the specifics on the cord for cord...looks like you have the tools and the splitter. I would cut and leave the rounds for your neighbor, and deliver your splitter for him to use.
3.) Addition - perhaps stack the piles/rounds in areas he can get too...pick up the brush and make in piles...leave his property looking ok after all the work.

Doesn't really sound exactly what you told him you would do for specifics, but if I were clearing my lot, and you were my neighbor....and I didn't have a stove/furnace yet to burn, I would be pretty pleased with your offer.

Good luck shipper, and let us all know how the conversation works out. (Can't hurt to offer some small help to him around his lot prior to having the discussion :)

Woodford said:
I think it comes down to how badly you need the wood and how much extra time you have.
I think that if you were to leave his wood in the round, it wouldn't be such a bad deal. Splitting is the most time consuming part of the process for me.

I have two neighbors that recently had their land partially logged. One is next door and the other is a half mile down the road. The next door neighbor's house is for sale and they've moved south to retire, so I have no way to get hold of them. There are some huge tops from Oak, Cherry and Walnut up there. I'd hate to see it all go to waste.
The other guy down the road seems to think he can sell the tops. A friend of mine has known the guy all of his life and when the guy figures out that he can't sell the wood, I'll just have my buddy work on him and hopefully persuade him to let me have it.

Maybe you could bug the Realtor to have the neighbor who move to contact you? They have to have the contact information.

Shipper, that was a good offer you made. Around here it would go more like 2 for 1 or 3 for 1. But as you have stated, you have gotten wood from this fellow in the past. He has helped you and will probably do more in the future. All in all, I'd say you should be okay. Go for it.

Personally, I think you are doing too much work for free on the deal. But some good points here about being neighbourly, especially if your long term .. Since he is planning on an Outdoor in the future, maybe cut his tops much bigger/longer, say 24"-30" no splitting. Outdoor furnaces can take much larger wood.

Here is an update on the neighbors wood. The company is not wasting time, they have taken one truck load out that I saw already and have another or more staged. They are sure tearing up this guys land and yard.

My neighbor as I said before is a young guy around 33 or so, he has had second thoughts on the wood part. He doesn't want any of the wood as he feels its not worth the cost of buying a outdoor furnace to save $6-800 per season over his heat pump bill.

So I can have all the wood I can get, but some of its going to stay. The loggers have made huge ruts in the back country and its not worth my time taking my 4 wheeler back there and trying to get the wood out.

I have taken some pics of the company and their stuff and the staging area.

Shipper

Attachments

• hert lane 095_600_450.jpg
    hert lane 095_600_450.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 406
  • hert lane 100_600_450.jpg
    hert lane 100_600_450.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 424
  • hert lane 098_600_450.jpg
    hert lane 098_600_450.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 435
  • hert lane 099_600_450.jpg
    hert lane 099_600_450.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 429
Hope he got a decent price, and his trees scaled prior to havesting. Timbering companies have certain reputation for under-estimating board feet.

That staging/loading area doesn't look to bad for ruts.
If he doesn't want any of the wood, and you can get it for free, now I would be all over that like white on rice.

mainstation said:
Hope he got a decent price, and his trees scaled prior to havesting. Timbering companies have certain reputation for under-estimating board feet.

That staging/loading area doesn't look to bad for ruts.
If he doesn't want any of the wood, and you can get it for free, now I would be all over that like white on rice.
I just walked the property line between us and the loggers sure in the hell didn't leave anything that was close to the line. It was like a tornado hit.

I walked up the hill behind me to make sure they didn't come too far over the line. I don't have that many trees as it is and now the hill looks bare. They did cut the trees so the tops would come on my side, but its a mess.

I know some of you will say, hey its free wood for me, but to have your property change in looks so much I wonder?
By the way, the guy who is getting the money is getting a big $18,500 for about 60 acres of wood cut. I won't go into his money habits.

Shipper

I agree with you, logging (the clear cut type) really doesn't so much for the scenery. Plus, if it's an adult hardwood forest, it will never really look the same again in our lifetimes. It sounds like the timber company REALLY came out good on that deal. They usually do. It was wise that you checked your line. Timber cutters have been known to sneak a few feet over on a line (intentionally and unintentionally), which can add up to a bunch of free dollars in their pockets and a bunch of ugly stumps for the unfortunate owner.

It is my understanding that timber (like everything else) is at an all time low. Now was probably not the wisest time for him to have the property logged.

Nic36 said:
I agree with you, logging (the clear cut type) really doesn't so much for the scenery. Plus, if it's an adult hardwood forest, it will never really look the same again in our lifetimes. It sounds like the timber company REALLY came out good on that deal. They usually do. It was wise that you checked your line. Timber cutters have been known to sneak a few feet over on a line (intentionally and unintentionally), which can add up to a bunch of free dollars in their pockets and a bunch of ugly stumps for the unfortunate owner.

It is my understanding that timber (like everything else) is at an all time low. Now was probably not the wisest time for him to have the property logged.
I have a buddy who's dad had his land timbered 2 years ago. He got much more money for his wood than my neighbor. I was told today by the truck driver for the company that some of the wood would be used for pallets and some would be sent to a mill for lumber.

I wonder who is going to fix the road they are tearing up going up and down to get the loads out? I live on a dead end road that wasn't in the best shape to start. Now with 4-8 loads a day for 2 weeks from what I was told, the road will be shi- when they are done.

Shipper

For $18,500. on 60 acres, I would like to see the Log scale. I know Hardwood log prices are down but that seems a more than a bit shy. Upon second look, those were some small logs. Sorry about the visual for you, I hunt deer on 100 acres that border a logged Maple bush, complete with old cedar fence, and I never get lost and don't need the compass.

Really my question would be "Is he gonna help?". If so I think you got it made. I made that deal with a friend of mine. He comes to my house with an empty truck. We use MY saws, ATVs, splitter, & gas for all of 'em. He leaves with a good truckload and I get that much or a little extra. I know he's getting a hell of a deal. But I like the help and just hanging out.

ccwhite said:
Really my question would be "Is he gonna help?". If so I think you got it made. I made that deal with a friend of mine. He comes to my house with an empty truck. We use MY saws, ATVs, splitter, & gas for all of 'em. He leaves with a good truckload and I get that much or a little extra. I know he's getting a hell of a deal. But I like the help and just hanging out.
No he is not going to help. He has found a job where he travels 775 miles one way to work with his brother doing electric installs.

I will have to cut the wood and haul it to my splitter where ever I set it up and then stack it all by myself. I have been doing this for close to 20 years, but with a much better left knee than I have now. So, I will take it one day at a time and get the best wood that is the easiest to get.

Thanks for all the comments and responses, its like a family. :)

Shipper

Status
Not open for further replies.