Neo 2.5 noises

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Lauren21

Dec 7, 2022
Ontario
I have the PE neo 2.5 (freestanding) and it burns amazing and lights perfect but it makes insane amount of expansion and contractions noises. I’ve always been around wood stoves and this seems excessive. On start up it obviously makes lots of loud snaps but it continues and after the stove has completely gone out it will make huge cracking noises every few minutes for up to 6 hours after. Kept me up till 2am snapping and the fire went out at 6pm. Does this seem wrong? Anyone else notice this. It seems to come from the baffle area and I tried to adjust it to see if it was not sitting correctly but it seems fine. Any help would be great. Going to call PE today.

That doesn't sound right. The baffle just floats on the rails, it's only captive at the back pin. There is a heatshield above it. I wonder if it is binding somehow?

That doesn't sound right. The baffle just floats on the rails, it's only captive at the back pin. There is a heatshield above it. I wonder if it is binding somehow?
I called the company. They made me take the baffle out and the side rails and put it back together in case one of the rails was hung up on the side pins during shipping - not seated properly. I checked the heat shield and it seemed tight. I can freely move the baffle around a bit so it doesn’t feel caught on anything. It’s still doing it. It may be slightly better but I’m lighting another fire now to tell for sure.

So the heat shield was jammed at the top because there was some metal from cutting the stove pipe hole trapped under the shield causing it it be tilted. I fixed that. Still did it. Then noticed the top of the baffle -those wings were touching the heat shield so was told to bend them down. Thought that would have worked but it’s still making lots of noise. Especially on cool down. Every minute for hours and hours. I don’t see anything else that it can be.

Wow that is strange. I wouldn't think that's expansion and contraction. I would get hold of the dealer. You can't focus with a noise like that.
Ya, something very wrong with that. My dogs would run out of the room.

It's most likely expansion of the outer panels. It would be interesting to try a fire with the outer skin off.

PS: Nice video of the secondary combustion in the second video.

Watch this video below which was made by a dealer to promote this stove. If you fast forward to the 2:10 period, a couple of seconds later you can hear the stove bang a few different times much like your video, but not as constant.

Watch this video below which was made by a dealer to promote this stove. If you fast forward to the 2:10 period, a couple of seconds later you can hear the stove bang a few different times much like your video, but not as constant.

They sent me a new stove. Started it today and it doesn’t make one single sound. Found a weld that holds the top that wasn’t done properly and was snapped off. Probably the issue. Maybe more welds were bad on it also. Anyway. So far so good. This one is very different sounding than the last. Night an day. Can finally sleep without the noise.

Glad to hear it. Its a nice looking stove. I imagine it puts out a lot of heat

They sent me a new stove. Started it today and it doesn’t make one single sound. Found a weld that holds the top that wasn’t done properly and was snapped off. Probably the issue. Maybe more welds were bad on it also. Anyway. So far so good. This one is very different sounding than the last. Night an day. Can finally sleep without the noise.
That's awesome. Glad you got it taken care of.